PPI's How do you take them?

Posted , 7 users are following.

In reading a lot of these posts, I am curious about HOW you all take PPI's. I have been on them, for most of the time, Omeprazole, since the 90's. I started out after Pepsid AC stopped working for me, and I began with 40 mg. a day, finally went down to 20, and have been for some time on 10 mg a day. I know a lot of people take it first thing, on an empty stomach, and I do not. I get up, have my breakfast first, and wait at least 2 hours after taking my supplements to take my pill. I have never had a doctor say my vitamin levels were low, and I have some joint pain, but I have scoliosis, so most of what hurts is from that. I take several supplements, magnesium, vitamin D, coQ10, ginko biloba, and off and on, Triphala, for my bowels, although lately, not taking that. I would like to stop altogether, but fear the withdrawal, and am afraid I will get worse problems in the long run. I have to watch what I do eat, avoid some things, and if I do eat them, I often take a dose of rantinidine before bed. So, I am interested to hear how you take your pill, as I have never had these very awful symptoms I keep reading about.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took my 30mg an hour before breakfast. There's some you take with food and some on an empty stomach.

• Posted

Same for me. Ive been on Lansoprazole for about 8 years. I take it when i get up, on an empty stomach. I took 30mgs for about 5 years then my GP reduced it to 15mgs and that has been sufficient. I've had no side effects whatsoever but I can accept that neuroses can occur in people that have a predisposition to anxieties.

• Posted

I take two a day, each one about an hour before eating. I take two Ranitidine as well so space them out. I use a little timer to remind me when to take meds and have the vibrate setting on my fitbit set to remind me. Works for me, otherwise I forget.

• Posted

Always on an empty stomach and try to do so first thing i guess it suppresses the acid? Not sure

• Posted

I don't know if this will help, but last night was the first time I haven't spent all evening and night taking taking antacids. I always have milk when it starts up, but last night I had water and cream crackers with butter. it was the first night in six weeks that I haven't had to get out of bed to take some antacids. I'm going to try it again tonight and keep glasses of milk to mornings only.

• Posted

Not sure if my entire post shows? I had said that I think it is better to take them at least two hours after my breakfast and supplements, as it gives your stomach a chance to digest the supplements before taking it. I am also going to try weaning off it after the holidays. Even 10 mg is more than I want to take. I am going to try going vegan for a while, and see how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.