Prilosec caused severe anxiety which led to major depression.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello,

I was prescribed prilosec approximately 3 years ago for the symptoms of mild gastritis. Since then, I've noticed a gradual deterioration in my health. The symptoms I've been having include, but are not limited to severe anxiety and irritability, major depression, feeling of fear and dread, visual/eye focus issues, extreme sensitivity to light, and a complete inability to relax, similar to ptsd symptoms. I've searched the Internet and have gone through rigorous testing to figure out what could have brought all of this on as I have always had slight anxiety, but nothing compared to what I've gone through over the past 3 years. I could go on and on, but to make a long story short, I did a thorough check of all medications that I was taking and narrowed it down to prilosec, and began researching for myself.

After after noticing that there are so many others that have the exact same side effects did I realize that prilosec had to be the culprit, especially since that seems to be the amount of time that I have been going through what has been a complete nightmare. I immediately stopped taking prilosec cold turkey and went to my gp for a full blood count and had all vitamin levels checked. The results showed that I am now deficient in vitamins d and b12. I I have been off of prilosec for three weeks and taking supplements and seem to be feeling slightly better, although not nearly 100% at this point.

Has anybody had similar adverse reactions to prilosec or ppi's and if so, how long did you take it and how long did it take for you to feel "back to normal"?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated as I am astounded that this drug could be the cause of of my 3+ year long nightmare!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know this has been a while I wanted to reach out to you and see if this got better for you in time? I'm going through the same thing. I'm off of ppi now for almost 5 months and still dealing with anxiety. I hope it got better for you. Thank You

• Posted

Hey Groc and All!

I will start off by saying i took this medication Omeprazole 20mg and was an absolute disaster/mental wreck for three days and today would be day number 4. I took my first this past friday and that night and all day yesterday severe anxiety and depression as well as sweating and serious brain fog and prescribed for mild indigestion myself. At all costs get off of that medication. It will change you, will ruin your life as long as its in youre system. I am feeling better but absolutely not 100% and thankful i only took one dose. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I do know i didnt take it long so it may not have hit me as hard as some of you but there is steps you need to take to get healthy.

1-Stop taking it,cold turkey. it will do not worse and not make you feel worse than what you already do.

2-I took multi vitamins-Brand Olly but any will do with some b12 and magnesium as well as all the other vitamins.

3- Drink massive amounts of water and add lemon if possible.

4-Try to exercise,or at least go for walks to clear your mind.

5-Read the positives not the negatives.

6-Eat Healthy

7-Don't let doctors tell you its in your head. That is complete garbage. feel free to message me if you have questions. Prayers to all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.