Pulmonary fibrosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone Im 42 I've been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis this year...... How long is my life expectancy I'm at mild.... My heads away not knowing wether my children will loose there mum before 50.....   

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debora

I think it depends on the "flavour" of the condition which you have. There are many types of IPF. I knew I had a problem about 5 years ago and i was diagnosed 1 year ago so mine is slow moving.  I have been tracking my FVC every week as part of a medical trial for 12 months and it has not moved at all. In fact is is still above normal.  My gas transfer is is at the bottom of the normal range this is the reason I get breathless on exercise.   I  am taking Nintedanib.

I know I am very fortunate so lets hope you are too.

Best wishes

Brian

• Posted

Ipf is not what I have, pulumanary fibrosis. Is...... Is there a difference 🤔🤔

• Posted

Hi Debora, my thoughts are with you right now.  Don't have an answer or much advice other than stay healthy, exercise and take each day as it comes.  I know it's easy to say and not easy to do.  

• Posted

As epictetus mentioned, it is early to make predictions as it sounds like you don't have a full diagnosis as to which version of IPF you have. I'm 67 and no grandkids and expect my wife will outlive me anyway. And I'll almost certainly lose the cat before I go. That's a bummer too. So it goes. 

So playing the numbers game is premature. As for myself, I do it all the time. But I am working with more information and playing the stats game between transplant versus no transplant. So my situation is a bit more developed than yours. 

42 is damned young. I don't know what to say to that. 

But from my readings and studies in sociology, I think loneliness is where the real pain is. So do nurture your familial (and friendship) relationships. But don't deny yourself some quiet alone time either.

Sermon over,

e

• Posted

I don't have IPF I have pulumanary fibrosis it is different I think

• Posted

There is pulmonary fibrosis in a variety of types. IPF is "idiopathic" pulmonary fibrosis, The idiopathic means the cause is not understood so a cure is not available. There is new stuff on it but essentially that's the deal. 

• Posted

I'm gubsmacked I'm only starting my good life now. Then this. Is there a known time with 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Known time? Do you mean how much time remaining for you? If that's what you are talking about please don't freak. You still have more to learn about your diagnosis. Also, I have followed some of the research on current meds and those being developed and there is impressive progress. There is the site Pulmonary Fibrosis News which is really up to date on research and studies. But I still say slow down a bit until things are more clear. BTW, this is the second time I have heard the word "gobsmacked" in a week, having not heard or read it in a zillion years. Great word! Best I can find is first use on British TV in 1959. Definitely the "word of the day".  

es

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.