PV male 38 years old?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I am really hoping that I don't have this but here Is my story. I have been having abdominal pains for 6 months now. Had ultrasound, ct and Mri that all show nothing. I had a follow up appointment with my gastro doc on Thursday that I thought was to finalise things and be discharged. He said he was more interested in my blood work than my gastro symptoms. He said that my haemoglobin had bee steadily raising for the past 3 years and is now out of range. He said that 160g/l was the high end of the range and that mine was 167g/l. I had a copy of my recent blood work results with me that I had done in November and it said that 140-180 was the range. He said that he had never heard of the range being that high. He then went on to talk about polycthemia. He told me a little bit about it but didn't say what it actually is. Left me to go home and read about it. None the less it has scared the life out of me. I end to see my gp the next day to tell him what the gastro doc had said. My gp was shocked. He showed me all of my blood work results going back from 1998 and said that he must have it wrong. My haemoglobin has always been 160 or above but never above 180. My hct is .46. I phoned the hospital haemotoligy dept and got put through to one of the docs. I explained what the doc had said and she said not to worry about it. She said my levels were inside but boarder line but it is unlikely that there is anything wrong.

I do suffer from weakness and tiredness. I have put that down to the stress of the past 6 months constantly worrying.

Do you guys also think that the gastro doc has got it wrong? Also, any of you guys been diagnosed at a young age. What is the life expectancy of this if I do have it. Most sites I have read say it is 10-15 years and that it is mostly diagnosed in people aged 60 or above. Is that figure aimed at these people due to the fact that in 10-15 years from age 60, most people would die of other natural causes? Sorry for the long post, just freaked me out.

Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's right Richard. They are exactly the same measurements. Just x10 to get to uk measurements.

• Posted

Just to update. I seen the hem haematologist last week. He was not in the slightest concerned. He measured my bloods again and phoned me a few days later with the results as he knew I was worried. Haemoglobin was 167 and hct was .46. Discharged me. 👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.