Question about Lanzaprozole very anxious about reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past few weeks I have been suffering with acid reflux, lots of burping and sore throat. I suffer from health anxiety due to family history of the C word - I went to the drs and hey prescribed me a PPI for 4 weeks. After 4 days I am not noticing much change at all - should I be worried or do they take some time to work? I had a similar episode 7 years ago and went on omeprazole...I can’t remember how it went away but obviously it did?? Can you get GERD flare ups? What causes them? Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It takes a good week to get to work at full strength,but beware about staying on them longer than a few weeks.they are hell to stop once to your body gets hooked on them.i was on them 6 months and im 5 weeks clean and having far worst acid refux than I ever had..
  • Posted

I was put on Omeprazole for stomach ulcer(s) and I've been on 40mg of them everyday for 3 years now, and they starting working almost instantly, but I just can't come off them, as soon as I try I get lots of bloating and burping, sore, hot feeling in throat and acid reflux with associated chest pains. I still get those symptoms but they are only very mild for the majority of the time. The doctor did say to me that they were pretty harmless, and I have heard of some people being on them for 15+ years, so they can't be all that bad. The problem is are they actually doing something or just masking the problem that's causing your symptoms. Personally I'd recommend an endoscopy just to be sure it's not something else other than heartburn or acid reflux. I had mine about 2 years ago and everything was fine.

All the best for the future and take care.

• Posted

I'm a 15 plus but now I try just to take them on an as needed basis. My previous doctor had been on them for eight years when  we discussed long term effects.  

• Posted

I know each person reacts differently but just b/c your doctor tells you some anecdotes based on a small population doesn't necessarily make it safe.  My GI told me the same thing.  "I know people that have been on PPIs for 15 years without issues".  I was on it for 5 years and now I am struggling with muscle tightness/weakness.  This was the only drug that I had been on chronically so I am not sure what else would have caused these side effects.  Best of luck and I hope this keeps working for you without any side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.