Question about the aweful Omeprazole side effects. Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I been searching the internet and can’t find answers so if someone can chime in and help it will be a godsend.

After 4 days Omeprazole gave me bad gas and bloating. It was worse that the GERD I was trying to treat so I stopped it. When will gas and bloat and belching and aweful nausea go away? I am on day 4 of being off it and I still can barely eat without stomach discomfort.

GasX helped but not by much.  Do you think taking gasx before I eat instead of after will help? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi Do you feel swollen in the abdomen?
    • Posted

Really bad gas in stomach. I only can eat small amounts of food or I feel dreadful and I stopped taking it a few days ago
  • Posted

I have used Lansoprazole for years - not Omeprazole - and have not had that problem. I have other issues though that I am investigating but they are live-with-able.
  • Posted

When will the side effects go away?  Been off of it for 4 days now
  • Posted

All very common side effects of the drug. Millions of people take this drug for GERD but I have reservations about it. I know that acid reflux is painful and will erode the tissues in the oesophagus but at the same time the stomach needs acid to digest food.

Logic tells me that If acid production is suppressed, food may not be processed in the stomach as it should giving the small and large intestines a bigger job to do.

I would only recommend taking a PPI if there are stomach ulcers that need to heal. Else look to lifestyle, diet and weight control to control symptoms.

Too much belly fat can put pressure on the hiatus hernia that is often the cause of reflux. Being too sedentary puts pressure on the leaky valve. Certain foods will trigger reflux. For me chocolate is the absolute worse. Eating and drinking late in the evening will make symptoms worse as the stomach is still having to produce acid late in the day which can flow back up the tract when lying down. 

If you have been taking Omeprazole and then stop suddenly, symptoms will also seem worse as your stomach goes back to producing normal acid levels.

This is only my opinion based on a personal (poor) experience of PPIs after diagnosed with a HH. I lost several pounds around my middle, kept a food diary to track what was aggravating the GERD and altered my diet to eliminate the trigger foods. Now I find that GERD is only troublesome if I am forced to be inactive as exercise helps with digestion.

• Posted

Luckily I was on it a few days before stopping it. What’s even worse is I’m on antibiotics with the same side effects so I’m miserable.  I went out and bought soup to eat for a few days and bananas soup should be gentle
    • Posted

I'm 60 and work from home. Sedentary is the new normal, as is being overly large in some views. However, my medical issues predated the onset of both age and weight. My experience does not show your correlation, my word that is a hard pill for a Dr to swallow.

• Posted

In which case it might be the antibiotics causing the digestive problems and not the PPI. Antibiotics will destroy good as well as bad gut bacteria and throw your digestion off. A small and bland diet for a couple of days might be all you need. Avoid soup which has onion as a base as most do. I'm a big fan of soup but make mine with leeks as I find them gentler on my GI tract.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.