Quite a lot of people cannot get on with other types of ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Quite a lot of people cannot get on with other types of painkillers. I have found stronger type painkillers make me to drowsy or cause side effects.

Co-proxamol can be prescribed until Dec 2007 , as time goes on you may have to search for which chemist will supply it.

After Dec 2007 it looks like it will be on a named patient basis. My doctor has agreed to give this to me on this basis , the chemist has said on a named patient basis I should be able to get it direct from the suppliers.

[i:674ef32d4b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:674ef32d4b]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My doctor has been very supportive about continuing to prescribe Co Proxamal, I take it for arthritic knees. I have tried cocodomal in the past and it was useless. I know that if I have to stop taking co-Proxamal I will have to finish work and although I am 60 years old and of retirement age I still enjoy teaching very much and would like to work for a few more years.

I rang the doctors for a repeat prescription yesterday and was told by the receptionist that they were not prescribing it any more as it was not available at the chemists and that they are prescribing cocodimal instead. I arranged an appointment and hit the phones!

When I turned up and said I'd found a local chemist with a supply I had no problem getting a prescription although the doctor seemed to think that eventually the supply will dry up.

It seems that as doctors move patients off Co proxamal, wholesale distributors are stocking less and manufacturers are making less and pharmacists are having more difficuly obtaining it.

Are the people who made the decision to withdraw co-proxiamal and those who proposed the new system of named patients doing anything about ensuring that the product will still be manufactured?

[i:7783286ccc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7783286ccc]

• Posted

I have tried to get coproxamol on a named basis and have had no luck at all. My GP says that the stocks are gone and there will be none made. I wrote to the MHRA and they more or less told me that any gp who presribed coproxamol wont be insured. I think there is alot more behind it all. Probably money as usual. I am fed up with this country and how it treats its citizens.

[i:1046c0af7a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1046c0af7a]

• Posted

I HAD ULCERATIVE COLITIS FOR 10 YEARS, DIAGNOSED IN FIFTH GRADE, MOMM DIED AT FIVE WITH COLON CANCER 1998. 10 YEARS LATER, SCREWING WITH IT FOR 10 YEARS, HERE WE GO COLON CANCER. COMPLETE COLECTEMY, RECONSTRUCT A LARGE INTESTINE OUT OF A SMALL INTESTINE. SIXXX YEARS AGO AUGUST 27 ....I WAS 17, J POUCH, HELL YAH. CURED.PRAISE 4 MY LIFE.

[i:226bf59d02]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:226bf59d02]

• Posted

My mum has taken co-proxamol for rheumatoid arthritis, now she cannot get it any more and has been given co codamol, which does not give her relief from her pain. She has asked her doctor for co-proxamol but he has told her it is not available. If anyone can tell me where I could get some from I would be very grateful (and so would my mum)
  • Posted

Co-Proxamol has been withdrawn because its incredibly easy to overdose on the stuff,, also theres very little evidence its any better than paracetamol on its own smile

I myself find the stuff pretty rubbish :D

• Posted

[quote:a06b48e039]Co-proxamol is implicated in 300-400 deaths from overdose a year. There is growing concern prompted by UK research which shows that co-proxamol is implicated in almost one fifth of drug related suicides and is second only to tricyclic antidepressants as an agent of fatal overdose. In response, the MHRA/Commitee on Safety of Medicines (CSM) conducted a review of the risks and benefits of co-proxamol. The CSM considered all the available data for co-proxamol and in January 2005 advised that it should be withdrawn from the market on the grounds that the benefits of taking co-proxamol are not considered to outweigh the risks.[/quote:a06b48e039]

Source : http://www.mhra.gov.uk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.