Quitting Omeprazole - what is your view please?

Posted , 7 users are following.

First post on here so please be gentle smile I am a 45 year old female in the UK. For many years I've had digestive issues, I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 20s and originally took anti spasmodic tablets plus various other aids but to no real avail. I could eat the same thing every day and feel different, my worst feeling is when you are so full up and burping is the only way to relieve the pressure! For me it was more to do with stress and with a happier life for the last 10 years I'm pleased to say that it's an odd day here and there which makes me feel rough with IBS-D.

Sorry for the long post but just giving some background. 

Anyway, excessive burping led me to the GP again last March and I was prescribed Omeprazole 20mg. It took a couple of weeks to start working and I would say in the majority it has been ok, but the belching continues (whether I'm empty or full) which after consulting Dr Google has found me here. I have read quite a few threads and many other articles and wondered, like many, whether my symptoms fit too little acid rather than too much.

I went back to the doctors and it was suggested that I stop the Omeprazole dead to see what happened. The test they want to perform on me next (stool sample for H Pylori) needs me to be free of Omeprazole for a month anyway. I ordered myself some digestive enzymes and for the first few days was thinking it was a doddle but by day 5 I'm feeling bloated and nauseous again. 

i honestly don't want to be a slave to these pills so I will persevere but I wondered if anyone has some positive feedback about quitting they could share with me please? Is it going to get better? Anything that you took supplements wise that helped you? I gave up smoking 4 years ago after 25 years and that was much easier!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've never had excessive burping with my acid reflex and I've never had the omeprozole not help with all the symptoms like it appears is your case.  Excessive burping to me means that you may need more because 20 mg isn't doing it for you or you are suffering with some other type of problem that Omep. can't fix.  Have you tried typing in excessive burping after a meal (I'm assuming it's after a meal), feeling of fullness and nauseousness to see what pops up?  Maybe try that and then present some things to your doctor.  Boy, I just wish I could be more help, but in my opinion, if Omep. wasn't controlling all my symptoms, I would be tempted to not go back on even tho it's uncomfortable now, until I found out why my digestive track is so upset with me.

• Posted

Hi Carol Christine

Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for taking the time to write. The burping was at ALL times although particularly after eating. Feeling of fullness and nausea often comes up with slow motility which does fit quite well.

• Posted

I' have been burping for 6 and half years now, every single day, around 80 - 100 x per day. The reason why I'm burping is because of my Hiatal Hernia. Do you perhaps have one? Pantoprazole 20mg does the thing for me, daily. I burp but the acid does not flush into my lower esophagus causing heartburn and causing erosions.

• Posted

Hi Esic

Do you know, this was my thought too, that I have a HH. I will see what the next few weeks bring after being off the Omeprazole and I guess the only way to find out would be a "scope" sad

• Posted

Hi Alison. Just look up two things...FODMAP and SIBO from there maybe you can plan your diet and therefore make things better. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi Patrick

My apologies for the delay - I have come across both of these terms over the last few weeks actually, would you believe the only thing that I currently eat which is on the high list is wheat? I did wonder whether to try some gluten free bread/biscuits etc but thought I would not many any dietary changes until I know whether the Omeprazole is wrong/right, or I won't know what has helped. But thank you for flagging that up to me smile

• Posted

I took omeprazole for10 years and couldn't go a day without. I decided last June that I needed to be off it. I cut the capsules in half the 1/4 over 2-3 weeks then stopped. I took Ranitidine prescribed by GP but can be bought over the counter and also got some Gavsicon. I got some herbal enzymes S well. I mainly used Gaviscon but if bad I took ranitidine. Gradually introducing the enzymes. Now I take virtually nothing. If needed I try gaviscon first and have some tablets in my handbag. Feel so much better, however make sure GP knows what you are doing. We are now 6-7 months down the line and I am delighted not to be taking anything regularly. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Faith

Wow, 10 years. You seem to have followed some familiar directions in gradually weaning off Om. Is ranitidine Zantac? The only actual "meds" I take now are a spoonful of Gaviscon liquid when I go to bed but that's more of a precaution to be honest. I'm really glad you're feeling so much better smile

• Posted

Thank you for posting.  I'm slowly tapering.  It will take a little longer the way I'm doing it, but I'm going to do this.

• Posted

Hi All

Just a general update after you have all been so kind in replying. I am still off the Omeprazole (2 weeks tomorrow) and so far, so good. After I posted last week I had hit a bit of a wall with it and almost reverted back to Om but after much more research I decided to try some digestive bitters. I have to say they are really helping! Yes it tastes awful but it is the tiniest amount. There are other bitters available, one in the states is maple flavoured!! I also introduced a probiotic to support my tummy in case it was SIBO, I figured as an IBS sufferer anyway it was going to help. 

I am determined to persevere and not go back to the tablets, I will update you in another few days!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.