Really getting frustrated with stomach/PPIs

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

hoping for some advice- im 34 y/o female and about 5/6 weeks ago i started having a gnawing feeling in my stomach like extreme hunger which was relieved after eating but then would come back, also burping quite a lot, although these are kind of little air burps, but ALOT of them, every few seconds when it's triggered, no acid or anything comes up when i burp, i am not sure if i am swallowing too much air but it feels like it's coming from my stomach, also having some stomach tenderness right between my rib cages above my navel type area. i thought this was possibly gastritis/some sort of reflux so i went to my GP. she examined me and said she thinks it is gastritis and prescribed 30mg Lansoprazole for 8 weeks.

I've been taking them now everyday but it has not been easy. some days it doesn't feel like I've taken anything at all, other days are fine, i am still having flare ups of excessive burping, bloating etc. I have drank nothing but water, decaf tea, sometimes lucazade that i have made flat (i am t1 diabetic so i need this sometimes for low blood sugars) i have avoided all spicy food and ate quite plain meals, nothing tomato based etc. i have switched to gluten free bread also. Last week i had awful stabbing pains in my stomach in the night and woke up with awful heartburn after i ate some bournvile chocolate fingers (never been an issue before assuming its the chocolate?)

Seen doctor again yesterday who has upped the lansoprazole to 60mg a day, referred me for a scope, liver/gallbladder scan, last night i took the extra lansoprazole tablet had a few malteasers and again, in the night i was up with awful bloated feeling like i couldn't breathe very deeply (like i had ate a large meal and was very full) and burping excessively. this morning i feel a lot better but now i have a cough in my throat that i keep needing to clear. is it possible the PPIs are making this worse? i really dont actually want to take another tablet, i have took one thir morning and feel ok but i don't want to take the 60mg.

any advice woudl be greatly appreciated on what could be going on, i dont usually have digestive issues but i have been diagosed with IBS in the past, had a cealiac blood test come back as normal a few years ago (my mum and aunty both have it). i feel so annoyed at the moment because the PPi's haven't fixed things and they seem to work so well for other people. i am worried i could have something like pancreatitis? gastroparesis? but i have not been vomiting.

thanks again

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.