Rebound acid hypersecretion from short term PPI use that never goes away?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Over 6 months ago I was very briefly on Omeprazole (20 mg/day). I didn't even have a problem with acid reflux prior to this medication, I was put on it because the doctor thought it might help for undiagnosed stomach pains! I stopped the drug after just 2 weeks because it didn't help the pains. Ironically after I stopped the drug is when I started having acid reflux (approx. 4-5 days after I stopped it). I didn't taper off because the doctor said there is no risk for acid rebound as I wasn't on it long enough.

Well now it's over 6 months since I initially stopped it and I still have reflux (chronic). It's always best when I wake up in the morning, then the more I eat / drink, the worse it gets. By bedtime it's unbearable.

In desperation I have went back on it briefly for 1-2 weeks at a time, a couple of times during this 6-7 months time frame in hope for some relief but it never fully removes the reflux.

I was told rebound lasts usually 2-3 weeks, but no more than 3 months and I was completely off it for 3-4 months, and only took Pepcid, and I still had the reflux. I just cannot get rid of it and I believe Omeprazole caused it to start. I should never have been put on this medication but I trusted the doctor (big mistake!).

Now someone has told me there have been extreme cases where the rebound stuck around for 6 months, even after short term use. Is that really true? I cannot find any info on it.

So the doctor forced me to go try the medication again, or he would not let me undergo any further diagnostic tests (my country uses public healthcare so I cannot just pay for the tests, I have to just take what I'm offered). He told me try to up the dose to 40 mg. At this time I had been off it for about 4 months and only managed by taking Pepcid. So I went on it for 2 weeks and then he said since it's not helping, you can either stop it or up it to 80 mg a day. I refused to increase it further as I think it was already a mistake to go back on it at all, so I started to taper off the medication slowly.

So after eating 40 mg a day for 2 weeks, I've been eating 20 mg for one week. As of today I am trying one week where I open the capsule and remove approx. half of the contents (if I can stand it, the reflux was terrible last night).

I also don't fit the criteria for people suffering from reflux due to poor lifestyle. I'm not overweight (actually the opposite), I never drank alcohol, never smoked, I don't eat spicy foods or greasy fried foods. Since the reflux started I have also removed all acidic foods like citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc. Nothing helps.

I have had nearly every test under the sun. Been probed from top to bottom, three upper endoscopies, two colonoscopies, capsule endoscopy, CT scan, 24 hour impedance pH reading, Heidelberg acid test, EKGs, countless blood tests, several fecal tests, biopsied for h. pylori and celiac's disease on three separate EGDs (all came back negative), Crohn's disease, IBD, etc etc. Nothing that could be tied to acid reflux has been found. The only test remaining is a SmartPill motility test which is supposed to record the pH levels of the stomach and I am having that at the end of March, so I have to be completely off Omeprazole by then anyways.

Do you think this is acid rebound, just a very extreme case of it? Why else would it start right after I initially stopped the drug? Like I said I never had acid reflux before this! What should I do?? This has to stop, I cannot go on like this! Should I try to stop the PPI completely and be off it for 6 months, and maybe it will finally go away? What else can I do?

Is going around with this for 6 more months a bad idea? How do I manage? I've tried antacids like Pepto Bismol, Gaviscon (doesn't work at all plus gives me terrible stomach pains and diahrrea), Ranitidine, etc. Also natural remidies like apple cider vinegar doesn't work. The only thing that has worked somewhat is Pepcid but now I have to take the stronger one (Pepcid AC, 20 mg) for any kind of relief. Will reduce the chances of the rebound to ever go away? In other words, is taking Pepcid every day counterproductive for the rebound to finally go away? Even when I take Pepcid AC, I still have reflux but not quite as strong. I am worried about what harm this does to my esophagus if I don't do anything to protect my throat from the acid. This has to stop and to me it seems it must be an extreme case of rebound, why else would it start right after stopping the medication, when I never had reflux in my entire life before starting this med? Please any suggestions are welcome, this is living hell for me. I am really, really desperate and the doctors are now telling me I just have to live with this, they refuse to help me.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Did you ever figure it out? I know my reflux and stomach pain is cause by zinc deficiency. my deficiency got pretty bad after estrogen replacement but i was prone to reflux before that. I don't know what happened to you but it makes me wonder since they can cause deficiencies. I know the stomach lining is meant to have stomach. I have heard of people needing to heal their stomach lining after ppi's. I have heard of things like zinc carnosine, dgl licorice, bone broth, and other other things healing the stomach lining.

I found this on google that PPI's can cause a zinc deficiency but I have read they reduce magnesium and b12 too. If a person was already low in something causing GI issues, it could get worse from the meds. But maybe your just stomach needs to heal. I hate ppi's, they have screwed people up that I know. I have read that they increase risk for stomach cancer, can cause osteoprosis and kidney disease, and also shut down proton pumps in the mitochondria as well which is scary.

PPI use dramatically reduces supplemental zinc uptake and can result in decreased zinc body stores. Certain individuals on long-term PPI therapy, such as infants being treated for colic, may be at risk for decreased systemic levels of trace metals needed for developmental, regenerative and immunological requirements.Dec 7, 2011

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › pmc

Proton Pump Inhibitors Interfere With Zinc Absorption and Zinc Body Stores

• Posted

to e40495!

please im going through the exact same thing!!! can you please update me on you!? and tell me how you are doing and if maybe you can help me...im going through the same thing after being on omeprazole for under 2 weeks!!!! never had acid reflux before the omeprazole and its debilitating!!!! ive lost so much weight and am going through such a nightmare!! the acid reflux doesnt stop!!!! 24/7!!!

pleaseeeee get back to me...

• Posted

I have a similar situation. About 1.5 months ago, I took Omez for about a week together with NSAIDs as prescribed by an orthopedist. Then, a few days later, I took Nexium at the instigation of another doctor. And on the second day of taking Nexium, I began to feel severe heartburn. I've never had this before. I stopped taking Nexium, but the severe heartburn did not go away. For a week, I took Phosphalyugel , which is a non-absorbable antacid. Heartburn has become less, but it has not completely passed, but it is already tolerable. I hope that this will pass over time, at least there is a dynamic for the better.

These PPIs are such dangerous stuff. I think they should be banned.

It seems to me that in order to recover, it is necessary to remove all drugs that cause acid rebound, including Pepsid. And wait. And if necessary, stop severe heartburn with NON-ABSORBED antacids - they do not cause an acid rebound.

I wish you a good recovery, and myself too.

Sorry for my English - I use a translator, but I hope that you understand me.

• Posted

Hello,

Did you ever try low-dose antidepressants? i have had symptoms like yours on and off (months) for many years until the next episode went on indefinitely. I PPIs didnt help and after doing a pH test while on the PPIs i had no acid but the same symptoms . what i gave is likely a hyperactive nerve in the esophagus that is ultra sensitive to normal pH secretion. I tried a couple of different ones and after being on them my pain is gone. 50mg nortryptaline. worth a try for a couple of months see if your pain resolves.

• Posted

hey! I just read through this entire thread.... I'm legit the exact same as you and Ryan and wondered if either of you got any answers?! did you end up doing the smartpill test? find anything that works for either of you?!

I hope to hear back 😃

• Posted

any updates? how are you feeling ?

how everyone is?

im in hell, took omeprazole 40 mg for two weeks and now im having the worst acid reflux 24/7. no appetite, gas, bloating, im in hell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.