Rebound reflux after stopping Omeprazole

Posted , 1 user is following.

I took Omeprazole for over 8 years for other stomach issues and not acid reflux. In April 2023 out of the blue I started having SEVERE side effects from the Omeprazole. Severe anxiety, panic attacks, extreme debilitating nausea, no appetite, muscle spasms, body aches, and bad thoughts. I didn't immediately contribute the horrible way I was feeling to the Omeprazole since I had been taking it for years with no issues.

One day I happened to come across a discussion on Omeprazole and saw that everything I was experiencing were potential side effects of Omeprazole. I stopped them cold turkey on May 5 2023. 3 days later I started having SEVERE acid reflux and absolutely nothing helped it. It was absolutely unbelievable the amount of pain I was in.

I went to multiple Dr's amd have had multiple tests done. Endoscopy, upper GI with barium, 2 h pylori tests, and a stomach biopsy. All tests have been completely normal.

7 Dr's, multiple natural remedies, acupuncture, and 3 months later I still have heartburn and reflux every single day. I have completely changed my diet and I sleep practically sitting up.

I will say that over the last 3 months the pain HAS lessened but I still have chest pain and burning, stomach burning, a SEVERE sore throat, my sinuses burn, and I recently started having earache.

my question is could I still be experiencing rebound after 3 months of being off Omeprazole after taking it for approx 8 years? My Dr's tell me it's all in my head amd while rebound is a real thing it doesn't last this long but I have read some studies online that say it can last for months with long term use.

Does anyone have any experience with this and any info on how long rebound can last?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.