Recovered from covid but still experiencing loss of smell

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was confirmed to have the virus in late March and only tested negative in early May. My sense of smell and taste fluctuated a lot during those times, only properly returning at end April. However, for the past month, my sense of smell and taste has been really weird. It smells strongly like a mixture of spiced grease, fried garlic and coffee grounds to me. Food smells really offputting and tastes really bad as well. I've only tasted my food properly for about seven times ish for the past month? Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I'm super worried.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That is annoying. But you have to keep positive and trust that it will come back.

My neurological symptom is insomnia. I've had trouble sleeping for the past 14 weeks. I think that's worse haha.

• Edited

Hi,

Yes! I'm in week 12 and not yet recovered from virus symptoms but my husband had mild covid in mid March and still complains he can't fully smell and taste and that he has a weird smell of garlic in his nose...heard people say they have a smoke smell but not heard garlic yet. You are not alone it seems!

• Edited

Hi!

I have the same garlic smell in my nose almost always now!! Other than that, no other smell or taste except basic sweet and salty tastes.

It's frustrating tbh

Did it get better in your case? How long does it take for it to return to normal?

• Edited

Hi,

It was my husband who lost taste/smell. He doesn't have the garlic smell anymore and is able to smell and taste a lot more although it's not perfect. This is after 6 months.

He does get moments when something will taste off still but is mainly ok and not too bothered.

You should get it back soon too.

• Edited

Hi,

Thank you so much for helping me with that!! It gets really frustrating at times and leads to me having breakdowns tbh

Trying to stay strong through this

• Edited

Hang in there you'll be ok.

Lots of people have had these symptoms and have recovered.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't get it when we did in March when no one could tell us what to expect, those days were tough!

There's so much more info around now.

Wishing you better!

• Posted

Thank you so much for helping me through this!!

I really matters a lot to me!

• Posted

khaitarou,

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem. I also recovered from Covid a few months ago keep smelling a strong horrible odor coming from just about everywhere and everyone. For some reason everyone I come in contact with has an awful odor of garlic and kitchen cleaner, such as Fantastik or Mr. Clean cleaning spray. My refrigerator and freezer smell terrible. I cleaned them out and replaced the baking soda and they still stink.

When I go into a store I smell this terrible odor but what is most problematic is everything I cook and eat smells disgusting. I ate something out of my refrigerator the other day and I almost gagged and had to spit it out. The other day after my son took a shower there was this horrible odor coming from him when he walked past me. This has never happened before. He has great hygiene but I can't stand the smell.

This problem seems to be getting worse by the day so I decided to make an appointment with my doctor. Some people may think this is funny but as far as I'm concerned this is no laughing matter. BTW, I am going to print out your post and show this to my doctor because I have a feeling she may think this problem is because I'm not showering or doing my laundry.

Take care and please understand you are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.