Relapse after return to work

Posted , 3 users are following.

Am so frustrated - I thought I had recovered from Covid 19 as last week I was getting back to normal so returned to work yesterday after almost 3 weeks. Am a carer in a care home - after about 3 hours my chest started to tighten then all day I was on and off with breathing problems which the mask wouldn't have helped. I had to keep popping outside to get some fresh air. Recovered abit after resting thru lunch break but by end of shift I couldn't get my breathing under control and I now feel terrible and have stayed off today. Feel I am letting them down and guilty as when I am at home pottering around I am fine. When will this all end? Has anyone else had this prolonged problem?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Amanda, I have had similar problems. I am a midwife and had 3 weeks off with the virus whilst the coughing was at its worst and I felt like death warmed up. I am now 3 weeks back to work and I get very tired and achey and need a nap in the day like a 2 year old!!! I think you need to take more time and you will be no good if you get ill again. I am almost 66 and working only 2 days a week now as retiring in Oct, but even 2 days is making me shattered. Good luck and look after yourself. Don't feel like you are letting them down - I wish I had taken more time - we as carers are conditioned to try to get back to work asap, but with this virus it takes a long time. I still get short of breath on exertion after 6 weeks

Care for the carers or we cannot care for others.

Jenny x

• Edited

Thanks for that Jenny. As you say we feel we should be working and it's difficult to deal with having to have more time off. I haven't even felt like getting out of bed today. I hope you feel better soon too - take care xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.