Relief of chronic pain - possibilities

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - just as an introduction I've had some pain problems since at least two years ago, and about a year and a bit ago it got worse and I was eventually referred to rheumatology - but I was seen and now won't be seen until November again.

In that time, the pain seemed to get a bit better for a while, then got worse again recently, especially over the last month. Prior to last month I was drinking a bit more than I should have done, partly because of rising anxiety levels, but I had to stop due to a new antidepressant I was supposed to be starting. (I'd been on several before.) At first, I thought the pain getting worse was due to withdrawal from alcohol and the previous antidepressant, but after two weeks the pain stayed around and even got worse. If I try to have any alcohol, it makes the pain worse and makes me unable to function properly the next day, so I don't do that. My depression and anxiety have also got much worse.

This isn't just a rant, though - I'm going to the doctor's on Wednesday about it and I was wondering what she is likely to prescribe for me, if anything. Paracetamol and ibuprofen don't seem to affect the pain one jot, and co-codamol doesn't seem to help either in the standard OTC dose. I've recently started a new job and I really, really want to be functioning properly again, at least enough to do the job. And, of course, easing the pain a bit would be nice!

BTW, the pain is mainly in my arms, legs and head, and was previously mainly in my hands and feet. It's like I'm bruised all over, although I'm not.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi charlotte03639

Have you had an ESR blood test to see if you have an inflammatory problem going on.....this blood sedimentation rate will be high of you do have an inflammatory disease....it sounds as if you may have because the painkillers you are taking are not getting rid of the pain..the only thing to get rid of inflammatory pain are steroids. If yo.u have not had an ESR test ask your doc to arrange one for you.....best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Lilian,

I believe I had one of those when my pain was at a relatively early stage and it showed no abnormalities. I can ask for another one when I see my doctor on Wednesday, though. Thanks smile

• Posted

Ask about fibromyalgia.  Was this mentioned at your rheumatology appointment?
    • Posted

Hi Philippa, It was mentioned by my GP a while back but the rheumatologist never mentioned it - just said he wasn't sure. Is there any way to determine that's what it is?

• Posted

There is a test called FM/a which shows up markers in the immune system blood cells which are present in people with Fibromyalgia.  It is used to rule out other similar conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.  However, it s said not be be very reliable.  Usually, the doctor will ask you about your symptoms and do a physical examination.
  • Posted

Hey charlotte03639

When you're working with pain meds do communicate with your doctor, especially if you don't feel what you currently have is working.

Sounds like from your story you have a lot going on :D Some of it being new things so things can be quite stressful for you which can elevate your symptoms. Do take some time out for yourself and have a pamer day. If you find your muscles relax you may find your pain subsides a little too. Hope this helps you ins ome way smile

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I'd forgotten I'd posted this, but thanks for replying - I've managed to make some progress. I've been put on duloxetine, which has made the pain much more manageable, and some days it's not even there at all, which is a big step forward. It'd be nice to have something for when the pain is there, but it's not unbearable, so I should manage. I'll see my doctor in a month or so - I'll see what she says then smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.