rib pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have been having pain in my ribs and arms and shoulders for 4 months I don't seem to be getting anywhere with doctors I do have vitamin d deficiency and pcos could it be anything to do with any of these can't get a straight answer from doctor

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly

A deficiency in Vit D left untreated can lead to body pain as well as many other unwanted illnesses. I assume that you have been prescribed a pure Vit D supplement (Colecalciferol) to increase your levels?

• Posted

Yea I'm on colecalciferol 40.000 units a month been on them for 4 months but pain doesn't seem to be going i don't have it all the time it comes and goes
  • Posted

Kelly

40,000 units a month may not be sufficient to increase your Vit D levels to normal if you were very deficient. I was prescribed what is considered a low dose of just 1,000 units a day - considered to be a very low dose but prescribed especially for me because of other problems. Many people take much much more than that. However I was lucky in that the 3-month course increased my levels from 36 to 89. I am about to start another course.

Have you had a repeat blood test? What was the result?

• Posted

glad to here your on mend no I went to the doctors the other day I saw the nurse I asked for a blood test she wouldn't give me one without doctors permission so I have an appointment next maybe I'm not on enough I'm also getting heart palpitations since taking colecaliferol doctor said its nothing to worry about but it makes me wonder if it's the tablets
  • Posted

Also I have never been told how low it is
  • Posted

Drs often don't mention the actual results of blood test results but just seem to tell you it's either "normal" or "abnormal". I always ask - it's my body and I want to know. Last week when told blood tests were normal following new medication, I asked if I could have a printout.This showed asterisks against two tests with the word "abnormal" - only slightly but if I know what they are now then I have a baseline to use as a guide for the future.
  • Posted

Another thought comes to mind abut your pain Kelly. Are you at a certain age where your hormones could be changing. I have heard of ladies around the late 40/50 age group diagnosed with a certain condition due to pain in their muscles/joints which later, following a hormone test, has been found to be hormone deficiency and when treated accordingly have go better.
  • Posted

Hiya no I'm only 33 but I do have polycystic Overy syndrome weather itself anything to do with that
  • Posted

Then you need an answer from the GPs, Kelly. If you're not happy, then ask to see a different GP at the practice. Good luck!
  • Posted

Kelly - I've just looked up PCOS and yes it can cause disruption to hormones so still could possibly be pain due to a hormone deficienc.
  • Posted

Thanks very much for your help I have made another appointment to see gp next week so hopefully get some answers this time :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.