Rib pain at night--possible draft?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My partner is waking up with rib and back pain in the middle of the night. She says its quite painful and feels like the muscles around her ribs are tight. At first we thought it could be the draft from a fan (she had it pointed on her at night once), but even with no fan on and a t-shirt covering her back and front, she still has this pain. It lasts around half hour/an hour and only heat with ibuprofen helps. Is there a reason which is causing the muscles in her ribs/back to tighten when she sleeps? I've googled everything but can't find an answer. It's not anxiety or stress as she's sleeping.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i would say that she needs to check for gallstones

tightening around the rib cage generally around the whole of the ribs back and chest and then pain up and over the shoulder in the back shoulder blade

usually happens at night and usually goes away on its own

i had it for 5 years until i was finally given an ultrasound where they found my gall bladder was full of stones

if she is 30s and under then it might bot be but worth asking her doctor as if it is, it only gets worse and nothing helps with the pain - i would be physically sick with the pain

let me know what her doctor saya

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.