Rib's

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everybody,

i hope you are all as well as can be expected , so now after 2 years of differant attempts, it now seems my ruhemetologist has finerly got the balance right with Roactemera & Prednisonol, but i still get aches & pains and swelling, but nothing like before ,& i am now more mobile but still use the wheel chair if i am out for to long, as walking and standing is still an issue.

I digress, my disgussion today is about "ribs" i have noticed over the past 6 months or so that i get pains in my lower back just wher my ribs end, and have had the same on both sides, does any body else get this ? and is it the ribs,i have been told the RA effects the ribs as they are joints.

I have had a scan to make sure the medication has not coursed any internal problems (cancer) being the main contender, but all was clear.

Any advice or help in this matter would be very apreciated ....Andy.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello stretch1,

Having read your concerns re: ribs, you say they are hurting both sides at the back, where the rib cage ends. I'd be disinclined to think this was anything to do with your ribs. As ribs are ' immovable ' joints, they are rarely affected by RA.

i would be much more inclined to think that, as your pain is in your bilateral loin area, the culprit may well be your kidneys.

I'm sure your doctor will be able to investigate this for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi sue84978,

I have had scans and blood test for any kidney and liver problems because of the medication i am on, and all are clear, the pain is not always both side at the same time, and the the pain does change when i move, it is also not every day i get it. I have also been told it could be something to do with the little bit of wieght i have gained due to immobility and steroids.

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this debilitating disease. Pain is the worst thing that anyone can deal with, especially when the culprit is unknown. I feel you, I do. And if I could offer anything besides compassion, I would. I am also in a wheelchair, but for different reasons. 
    • Posted

Hello Lucy,

The worst part about it for me, i was such a fit person with cycl ride adding up to 300 kilometers a week , gym 4 times a week, full time job as a chef, and i lived in the Algarve for 20 years. If i had not returned to the UK i dread to think how i would be now. The team at the QE hospital here in Birmingham have been fantastic and Dr filer has helped as much as he can now. At least i am out of my chair now, but is still have problems. But over the past 2 years i have also endured Pulmanary embolisms in both lungs, and last year pnuemonia. i still have minor breathing problems along with this new discomfort in my ribs. Anyway thank you for the thoughts and i hope you stay well as can be expected. Andy.

• Posted

That's terrible, how awful for you. I am certainly glad you returned to the U.K. and they are obviously better equipped to deal with your issues. Joint pain is horrid as well, and you would think as advanced as medicine has become, that there would be better remedies and medicines equipped to address this pain. I hope the rest of your issues get dealt with, and you get better. Health Problems are the worst! Take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.