Right arm pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, looking to see if I can get a bit of an idea of what I may have. My problem is my right arm.

About two to three months ago at work all of a sudden I got a funny pain in my right ear, then out of nowhere just behind my ear lobe it started to swell. I went to the doctors who asked me if I have had a recent cold which the answer to was yes. He said it was most likely an infected saliva gland and it will go on its own which it did.

Now fast forward a few weeks and I started getting pain in my right shoulder. I did not think anything of this until after a few days it started moving down my arm. Gradually the pain had got so bad I had to start taking ibuprofen. After about for days of taking ibuprofen the pain was that bad even them stopped working. One night the pain in my shoulder was that bad I took myself to A and E.

I explained to them everything I was feeling , last year I had to have surgery on my ear for cholesteatoma. I was told a nerve might have got trapped while having this operation and was sent on my way with a prescription for amitriptyline which is a anti depressiontablet that is supposed to block some nerve pain. After finding this out I refuse to take it. I would rather be in pain than take that poison.

I have been back to the doctors since with my arm who has booked me in for nerve tests.

The pain I am feeling is hard to explain. It feels like toothache down my arm to my wrist, if I move my head left I can feel the muscle pulling in my bicep also pushing my neck back I can feel it all down my arm. I have noticed a loss of strength in that arm too. Up until around 3 weeks ago I used to sleep on that side but now the aching and the pain is too much if I try which means I only can sleep in 2 positions with it now. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi darren03844

You could request an ultrasound or your shoulder and top of arm. You may have a problem with your ligaments and muscles or bursa oin your shoukder. I had the same pain in my shiulder and arm and ultrasound showed bursitis..swelling of the bursa in my shoulder and some ligaments tares..... best wishes....

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I had never heard of that. If my nerve test comes back ok with nothing found I will be sure to mention that condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.