Risk of addiction to painkillers

Posted , 5 users are following.

I read the article on the addiction risks of painkillers with much interest. I used tramadol and gabapentin for over 6 months before hip replacement surgery. It would have been a far shorter time, and hence lower risk, if my surgery date had not been changed 8 times. I was in a lot of pain and could not possibly have managed without painkillers, addiction risk or not.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

the addiction thing is a lot of BS. Pain is awful. A pill to help is a wonderful thing, Good luck

• Posted

There is a big difference between addiction and dependence. Addiction is both physical and psychological ie. Physiological crutch... not needing the pain relief but wanting it anyway. Dependence is your body physically dependent on addictive medications. I have been on opioids for 7 years on and off due to complications, surgery after surgery and PAIN from undiagnosed problems. At one point, my oxycontin had to be stopped immediately because the hospital was overdosing me with liquid morphine, oxycontin, clonazepam and lyrica. I kept collapsing in hospital but they were very dumb and didn't figure it out. By the time I was discharged, my LFT'S were extremely high. I collapsed at home the next day, paramedics gave me a huge dose of naloxone and I had abrupt withdrawal seizures. The new hospital stopped my oxycontin and reduced my oxynorm. I went through horrid withdrawals at home. Endone, tramadol, etc etc can all cause dependence. When you want to stop them, just make sure your GP organizers a table for reduction so you have minimal withdrawal symptoms. Most ppl on long term opioids are dependent but that is not addiction. Take care. Melissa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.