Sarcoid lifestyle changes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dear everyone,

I am age 27 male, recent diagnosis of sarcoid.

My doctor has prescribed low stress life, including much fewer work hours (I work in investment banking, 12 hour days). Is this normal? Do people really change their jobs to improve their sarcoid outlook? Does doing so make any difference to the outcome of the disease?

Thanks very much for any thoughts; this has major career and life implications for me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I say no lol

People who dont work still have sarcoidosis.

Its on what u can manage.

For example i work 27 hours a week and a 2 year old. I cant change this and wouldnt even if i could. Sometimes working is also a focus.

Stress can be a trigger im sure but then stress is part of life no matter how much we try and avoid it.

I watch my diet. Take steroid. Take natrual stuff like astathaxathin nac magnesium milate.

This is just my opiniom though only you know what is best cor you and what you can handle xxx

• Posted

Hi,

I've fought sarcoidosis since 1998 and did not change careers although I did have to step away from my career 2 1/2 years ago due to sarcoid and complications from it. I struggled the last few years of my career, as well. What I've learned is it truly depends on how well you, personally, can deal with stress. Stress can exacerbate your illness and that is where you're doctors concerns are coming from. If you wish to continue in your current career path, I'd recommend taking steps to learn new ways to deal with stress, unless you already have that mastered. Stress also applies to everyday life to though.

Sorry I'm so long winded! I know what it's like to be told something that I don't want to hear and I just wanted to share my experience with you. I didn't change careers, I worked 60+ hour weeks, managed 4m budgets and had an upper mgmt career with 100+ global employees. I only had to step away from my career because I am one of the more rare, life long, systematic sarcoid patients and it finally took me to my knees. Most patients, they say, are diagnosed .. spike .. then go into "remission" within 3 years. Hopefully that will be the case for you!

Best wishes!!

Deb

• Posted

My dad has sarcoidosis and has had for over 10 years now. He has it in his sinuses, lunges, skin, and prostate. He can not breathe and only has 70% lung usage and is constantly coughing lung tissue up. He can not smell because of an operation on his sinuses. My dad had to pace himself. If he does not he can not breathe. But he has a manual labor job. For you, however, I believe you would be fine because you are a banker. Manual labor is quite hard on him because he can not breathe.
  • Posted

Hi there, I was diagnosed in 2011 and was treated with steroids each time. I haven't had to alter my career or work schedule up till now but this month they have started investigating the possibility that my Sarcoidosis has started to affect my heart. This has started to cause me issues regarding my workload. Not clear at this point if this wil be an ongoing issue but as I said the Pulmonary sarcoidosis I was diagnosed with has had no real effect on my work.

As folk have already said try to avoid stressful situation as these can have an effect.

• Posted

Hi there I was diagnosed with sarcid January and I'm on steroids, I work a 11 hour day and always on my feet carrying and putting heavy stuff away, most days I find the fatigue a struggle an the shortness of breath, at the moment I don't know what kind of sarcid I've got but I'm due back at the hospital next month, changing my job just isn't an option for as I couldn't afford to, listen to your body an if you feel it's to much then change your job or move to a different department were you could be doing less hours an less stress. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, i dont know your symptoms or how bad you feel. I wld follow cutting out stressful situations but I dont know that I'd change work schedule without a 2nd opinion. Again, I dont know how symptomatic you are. Your health is most important so speak w dr again.

• Posted

Hopefully your sarcoid will be resolved in the short term. Your career is for life.

I maintained my stressfull job whilst battling sarcoid and was able to do so successfully. Best of luck

Tangles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.