Scared of having pv

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.im 23 yrs old and went for regular master health chk up in April this yr and came to know that my hb hct and RBC lvls are high.As it was just little higher than normal and 4 yrs back my levels were normal, oncologist told me wait for a month and again do cbc.As it turned out my hb was even higher and RBC too but my hct dropped from 53 to 49.Just few days back they collected my blood sample for jak2 and exon12.Currently I'm fine and work 9-10 hrs daily and am super active but really worried about future as I know condition gonna get worse....and have only one question... why me.....

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Vipulm,

Welcome to our little group.

Firstly, you haven’t had a diagnosis of Polycythaemia yet so you are speculating and speculation can often be wrong.

Secondly, even if you do turn out to have PV there are many lines of help available to you.

Thirdly, even if you do turn out to have PV, there are many worse diseases to have.

And fourthly, why you? Why not? In life, we get what we get. Good or bad parents, happy or sad marriages, etc etc. That is life.

Good luck with your results and try not to worry.

• Posted

Thank u fr replying....it's just so sudden .....and I read that it's a rare form of blood cancer....that is scary

• Posted

It’s true that it has relatively recently been classified as a type of cancer. It wasn’t in the past. It isn’t the type of cancer where you write you will and turn over to face the wall. It isn’t curable yet but it isn’t the end of the world either.
    • Posted

I know....but still....

went for the health check up coz it was free.....and bam....bombarded with this info....Dr was pretty sure I have pv....anyway... my birthday is coming this month....hope I get the jak2 report after that.....

• Posted

Better to know you have it than not know you have it.

Without diagnosis, a very short life expectancy.

With diagnosis, a normal life span (barring getting run over by a bus, of course).

• Posted

And today my bp was high too.....it is also a symptom isn't it

• Posted

High blood pressure is a sign of many many things. Being stressed is one of them.

I’m not aware of having had high blood pressure at any time in my life though I dare say if I had been tested before a university exam I might well have had.

Try to stay calm and wait for a professional diagnosis. Do not Google. Do not go looking at non professional articles or quack medicine pages.

You will be fine. You just have to wait.

• Posted

Hi Vipulm,

The chances are if you do have PV you have  been born with it, a defective gene at birth.   There is nothing you could do about it for you would know nothing about it as it is unlikely to have affected you.  That a possible PV problem has been located by the doctor should be put into context.  Better the devil you know that the one you don't.  You'll just need to wait until the medics have done their calculations and come up with a firm answer before you need to concern yourself overly.   Sometimes PV symptoms can arise early in life but usually it is much later.  

Once you have the results of all your tests and a diagnosis properly confirmed then a treatment schedule will be devised.  Until then just get on with your life.  You are not likely to encounter any immediate problems.  If you are diagnosed with the disorder then there exists a valid array of treatments to deal with it.  You can then live with it.

PV is a very rare disorder that needs expert medical supervision.  Very often the symptoms you describe can really indicate a different problem.  So sit tight and enjoy your life.   Good luck.

Peter.

• Posted

Just measured my bp and it is 140/100.idk if it is pv or not but something is not right
    • Posted

And just 4 yrs back my blood reports were normal
  • Posted

Thank you for replying Peter and Angela.....I am a bit scared.....lucky to find a group where I can share what I am going thru...and get some advise
  • Posted

Hi Vipulm.

Your BP reading is not out of order and neither does it confirm or deny PV.  This reading goes up and down all the time, depending on your activities.  The only way you will obtain a correct diagnosis is from the Haematologist once you have completed the necessary tests and they have been analysed to rule in or out a number of disorders that could can affect the results.  I was first diagnosed with PV some 20 years ago and can tell you it is a most variable disease that needs ongoing supervision.   I am still quite active and with a varied diet and activity level.   Your PV is not yet confirmed and you should not speculate on what it may or may not be.  As Angela advises, keep away from the internet for advice unless you have contact with an established medical site such as NHS or even this forum site.    Yes, PV can result in a cancer diagnosis but it is most unusual at your age and should it progress over a long period without proper treatment.  This is why the Haematology tests are so vital.  Once you get the official diagnosis 

you will receive a sound treatment geared to your personal predicament.  Really, I'd suggest you find something else to engage your interest until you know just what the situation is.  Wish for something better.  Settle down.

Peter.

• Posted

One more thing was there.nerves of my palm become visible sometime and palm becomes all purplish.idk why does that happen
  • Posted

Don’t worry, keep if for the cigs and just a moderate alcohol not every day once a week maybe but don’t binge. Eat healthily walk run swim whatever turns u on and hopefully keep anything away . Just to note u can live a long normal life with PV IF INDEED U DO HAVE IT! Hope that helps .
  • Posted

Keep OFF cigarettes and drink it should have read!
    • Posted

Actually I don't smoke or drink.and m a vegetarian too.so no prob there.thanks for replying.on sat will get to know if I have pv or not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.