Secondary intracranial hypertension

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. My name is Ashley and I’ve been experiencing head pressure, dizziness, brain fog, and a sort of altered state of consciousness so to speak. Has anyone experienced the change in consciousness with intracranial hypertension?

My story:

I am 37. I am a mother, a student, a Sunday school teacher, and I work. I used a tretinoin medication which I had an adverse reaction to causing me secondary intracranial hypertension. I have had everything medically done aside from a lumbar puncture which is scheduled this month. My doctors do not believe this could be caused by the medication but I’ve found several people who have gone through this. It’s currently been almost 2 months since I stopped taking the medication and I took it for 12 days. I immediately had side effects upon taking it. I was not using any other medication and currently do not take anything other than a vitamin. I am starting to feel like this is going to be my reality for a while. I feel hopeless a lot and other times I am hopeful. I am scared a lot and strong a lot. I am just wondering if anyone experiences the sort of change in vision and visual reality (so to speak). I appreciate any responses. 

Ashley

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ashley,

I was diagnosed with IIH or IHD 10 years ago. It almost killed me before a neurologist figured out what. Was happening. I recently was infected with influenza b,pneumonia and then a sinus infection. As a result I have had a major flare up. My symptoms are as you described. Brain fog,alternate state of consciousness, fatigue, dizziness, lethargy,painful ear and left temple. I have started on a strong dose of my meds again and this poses different problems. I am a teacher and have missed 12 days of school. I am a mother of 2 who has basically bee. AWOL since January 15th. I am hoping to get it under control soon. I have not had symptoms this bad in 10 years. You ar not alone. It is very real and very scary.  My family doesn’t understand it and I hate it. I feel like I am living in a vibrating bubble right now. On top of it all weight gain is terrible for the condition, but because I can barely walk down the hall I have lost muscle, gained fat, and am retaining lots of fluid. 

Stay strong and pray for a brighter hour and better days to come. That is the only thing getting me through this..

• Posted

Hello, Melissa 27796,

I am sorry to hear you are suffering. I am doing much better. I was just suffering with a bad ear infection myself making symptoms much worse. I will pray for you during this rough patch. I appreciate your reply very much. I love the comment you made about holding on for the better days to come. Very inspiring. 

Ashley 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.