Severe groin pain

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi.. My sister is experiencing severe pain in her left groin area. She is in tears every night and no one seems to be able to help. She was in hospital for a week and underwent a MRI, CAT scan etc and still nothing. They say they can't find anything. It is constant in her left side. It used to go down her left leg also but not so much now. She says it feels like her inside are being pulled apart and when the pain eases her left side feels heavy. She has had a massage machine to see if it is muscle related with still no success. It started before Christmas 2012 and had stayed getting worse and worse. She can't take anymore. Can anybody help us???

8 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Did she ever figure it out and if so, how long did it take to heal.  Sounds like iliopsoas tendonosis/tendonitis.
  • Posted

My be she is suffering from piriformis syndrome
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, I've found this forum topic very interesting.  I am 74 years old and have severe pain in my left groin, just in the crease where my thigh joins my stomach.  The pain was so severe that it was reducing me to tears.  I went to the Doctor and he prescribed Gabapentin, a nerve medication, and it eased.  I still have the pain but it isn't so intense and I still take the Gabapentin capsules.  Doctor said it was referred pain from stenosis in my lower back which was also affecting my hip.  I also find that it has affected my urinary tract, when I wee it just trickles out and I have to just sit there until it's finished.  I would be interested to hear from others with this problem.
    • Posted

Liz I am 73 and had similar experience not yet resolved. But one thing to consider which I believe is quite rare but throws similar symptoms to stenosis is a Psoas abscess. This Psoas is a muscle that goes from the back of your stomach think its attached to your lower spine and goes down into the lower pelvic area. There are two on one left and other on right and manifests itself in pain in the groin. My pain is fine when sitting or even standing, but completely unable to tolerate pain on walking. Been like that for six weeks and maximum pain killers would not even touch it. A lot better now but hoping for a definitive diagnosis soon. Look this up on internet and also look up picture of Psoas muscle.
    • Posted

Liz i am 61 and I have been off work since last August with exactly the same symptoms of pain, MRI, loads of xrays at the fracture clinic, hip and knee clinic ,and blood tests found nothing to detect. Just had an injection to see if it is refffered hip pain, hopefully it will sort it .But i am going to make a note of your medication, as i am slowly going round the bend and just about to lose my job as i=I can't walk and need to be on my feet 6/8hrs a day. I had similar bladder problems but thought it was because I am at home and drinking more.
    • Posted

Hi Doreen, I am 47 and having many issues similar to these I'm reading about....I am up hours trying to ease my pain...have you found any resolve?
    • Posted

Hello Liz, I am 82 and have much the same trouble as you..lots of pain in walking, sitting or standing up from chair, dribbling urine..Have had hip x-rays, they are ok, but lower back is in bad shape.Doc thinks it's bursitis and wants to inject steroids...I said no because I think it is torn muscle or such...feels like what I imagine a hernia would feel like, but there are no lumps etc.I wonder if injections would help?
    • Posted

Hi Liz164.

I too have been having the same problems. A severe pain in the groin ( right groin ) and everytime I try to stand the pain is so so bad, it takes a few moments before I can start to walk because of the pain. I had xrays and my Doctor thinks that because I have now five crumbling discs, she thinks that this could be the cause of all the pain. I also have been getting a lot of pain around the side of the leg and into the hip as well. Although I have had back pain for a long time because of the crumbling discs. This is the first time I am having this severe groin pain as well. I am now using a stick, because I tend to stumble. They say old age dont come alone, but this is terrible.

• Posted

Hi Betty, I am 44 and have been having trouble with my left hip now for 8 months. Doc did an utltra sound on my left hip for bursitis had the injection could stand and walk properly after it. Do have pain in both my groins going to physio to see if the can help.
    • Posted

Hi I've been in terrible pain for four months with intense pain in my groin on the right side. CT. X-ray and now MRI show nothing. I was at the start on loads of painkillers, but they just made me sleepy or sick, and didn't help with pain at all. HP put me on Gabapentin started with 100mg three times a day now 800 mg three times a day, but still not helping. I try and get on with things. But can't work and cry at the dro of a hat, as feel so frustrated, as now have to wait for an appointment at the pain clinic! No one understands this pain that is there all day and night. Anyone had any success with pain clinic? I'm not hopeful, but think it's my last hope.

• Posted

Oh golly sounds just like mine. Both my groins and lower stomach pain is so severe I can't even walk hardly Mine also in in my lower back and down both legs to my ankles

• Posted

Im starting PT in a couple of weeks. My Dr examined me, and says its a groin strain. He can feel that everything is still attached, and I think I actually pulled the adductor muscle when I was still half asleep and my legs felt like they needed to stretch, I think i overextended and now I've been in horribe pain since Christmas Eve. In the crease of my leg as well, when I go to sit down or stand up from sitting, it feels like I had major abdominal surgery and I know how that feels, because when I had my total hysterectomy I was cut from hip to hip !  Its horrible pain, I hope you all feel better and get some answers as well. I'm hoping ultrasound is going to loosen the muscle up that the Dr says is SO tight ! I actually can hear a little click when standing up, does anyone else have that issue?

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I had injections for burstitis and they really helped at the time.  I had an MRI scan to try to sort my pain out and was told that I had lumbar spinal stenosis which, in effect, means that the base of my spine is crumbling and the pain is referred to my groin.  I take Gabapentin  which is a nerve pain reliever.  Hope this is helpful and that you soon find some help and relief.  Lizzy
    • Posted

Hello Liz, I found your reply to Gemma very helpful because I think I have the same problem as you.Doctor wanted to inject but said no, as I wanted to find out more about it.Are the injections done with a local anaesthetic?

?

• Posted

Hi Betty, sorry but I've only just found your post so you've probably got the answer to your question by now.  Yes I did had a local anaesthetic before the burstitis injection.  Hope you're feelin g better.
    • Posted

Hey Miss betty😅 the epidural shots are not painful a allorielmeyers@att. I have had a about 8 this past year. Started in my lower back for 4 shots bc my facet joints where being pinched . But the shots don't make you scream it's just uncomfortable. But they have not helped I'm having1 more b4 he sends me to surgeon. dont evenhave to have one one to rive you . home I look very tennis good luck

• Posted

I had one of those injections about 10 years ago for bursitis in the hip and I was back to work the next day. It really worked for that issue.  I swear the needle was about a foot long !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.