Severe leg pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have now for some 9 months had a very numb right foot and severe pain from my back all down the outside of my leg.

GP sent me for an MRI scan which showed a disk pressing on a nerve in the C5 region and suggested a nerve root block injection, that I had 5/6 weeks ago.

Unfortunately that has not helped and seems to be actually worse now, I cannot stand for more than a minute without severe pain, I try to keep active by walking but that is also very painful.

Any suggestions regarding somethinf to help with the pain, I have tried Co-codamol 30/500 which does not help and I am unable to take Ibuprofen as it upsets my stomach.

It will be another 4 weeks before I see my GP about this, so any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This sounds similar to someone on here who was having problems with the sciatic nerve.
  • Posted

Dear Roy, I sympathise with your pain as I have had similar pain in left groin, hip and leg due to bursitis and a torn muscle.

However, I have had several injections, the last one a deep one into the bursa, by my rheumatologist,using ultra sound and local anaesthetic. It ha has re,ieved the pain immensely and I can now walk with a stick.It was a real worry as we were booked for a 3week trip around Tamania in a camper van! We are on our trip, and I am coping well.Afraid I don't know what he injected into the leg.Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Roy; I am sorry to have to say this, but I feel that the only way that you will get this slipped disc is to have surgery .....known as Decompression of Disc.......the giving of cortisone via epidural is the first line of treatment, but if not helping, then it usually means having to have assistance via surgery.  Why do you have to wait 4 more weeks to see GP.....who gave you the spinal injection?.....surely they/he/she should be the ones to go back to and discuss what further treatment they feel is needed????............Compressed discs are Very Painful, and trying to walk/lift/sit is virtually impossible, isn't it?.............hoping you can sort this out sooner than 4 weeks.............have you tried Endone for the pain (can only be ordered by medical practitioner.....but is probably the only tablet form to help/ease.....otherwise present yourself to an ED for pain relief (this may also help the process of further help and take your scan results with you...???)............Bron
  • Posted

Thanks all for the replies, leg has been really painful today, have managed to get the GP appointment moved forward to next Wednesday and now have a hopital appointment booked for end of April.
    • Posted

Hi Roy,

I've been down that road. Fortunately my Transforaminal ESI surgery worked and my Cervicalgia did get better even though I still have nerve pain. One suggestion I would make is to see if someone can help you get into a swimming pool? Sometimes just floating in a hot tub or jacuzzi can take the stress off. 

I lost all feeling in my Right leg for a month in 2012 from Sciatic Nerve damage after a car accident. And yes compressed disks are extremely painful! I feel bad for yousad Make sure you get copies of all of your medical information and X-rays. Doctors are very busy people and while they may be smart my just now trip to the Podiatrist proved that sometimes they rush to judgement or hurry with paperwork not taking into consideration how much pain we are really in. 

I had to have X rays done twice and wait over a month after to be seen by a podiatrist for a foot fracture. We suspect it happened when I stepped in a pothole before the street was paved or it happened at work from having to kneel down too long. At any rate the doctor had a GOD Complex and took me for granted telling me I wasn't in pain. I needed work modification and medical transportation and he said it was ok for me to take the bus and train...then he negated himself on my modification form by saying I could only walk or stand 10 minutes per hour? That doesn't make sense. Is the job going to come to me? Also it is more than an hour and over 5 blocks and at least 30 minutes standing to go to work????? Be careful. Take care now and I pray you feel bettersmile Debra 

• Posted

Firstly Roy, so sorry you are suffering, I have exactly the same for the same length of time also I am seeing a physiotherapist at the end of this month , which I doubt will help after reading these comments I have become addicted to the cocodamal , I don't know why as they do not help with the pain .. I am just glad to find a post with people with similar complaints , I hope you don't mind me joining your post ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.