Severe muscle pain sudden onset.PMR?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother was on atorvastatin for a couple of weeks then suddenly developed severe muscle pain across her entire body. She immediately stopped the statins. The Dr. put her on 10mg prednisone for 1 week. This did not help her pain. She has been suffering this pain for over a month. It disrupts her sleep. You can't even hug her without it being painful for her. All blood tests have come back within normal levels. Her doctor has referred her to a rheumatologist. We have been researching ourselves and are wondering about PMR. Has anyone who had a diagnosis of PMR had these symptoms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm writing this at 3:30 in the morning. I'm awake because my legs are hurting me terribly. I am on the exact same cholesterol medicine that your mother is on and am having trouble with leg pains. My doctor suggested I quit taking the medicine to see if the leg pains disappear but obviously they have not. This brings me to the conclusion that my leg pain is from my PMR rather then the cholesterol medicine.

• Posted

They thought her pain was from the statin also. They are known to cause muscle pain. She has been off the statin for a month and the pain is still just as severe. Please keep me posted on what you find out.
    • Posted

I will but I've got to say that at this point I'm starting to think it is not the statin. But I know I need to be off of them for longer then a few days. But your mother has been off of them long enough to know that it isn't the statins. Where is your mom's pains in her legs? Mine is from the knee down to my feet. I'm on 14.5 mg of prednisone which should be controlling my PMR, after all it did at the beginning. So I'm going to have to contact my doctor if it doesn't subside in a few days. I hope the rheumatologist puts your mom on a higher dose of prednisone. It's really a good test for PMR. The inflammation markers they look for are not always high for some people. One suggestion for your mom is to have her take magnesium citrate. That works well for cramps. It stopped my feet cramps even though it hasn't yet stopped my leg pain. Oh and one more thing. Ask the Dr to test her thyroid. A poorly working thyroid can also cause body aches and pains.

• Posted

She says her pain is exactly where the pain in the picture in this link for polymyositis is. https://www.mda.org/disease/polymyositis

She thinks it is that. I don't know if they have checked her thyroid but I have hypothyroid and have never experienced pain like she is having. Hers is severe pain. I will update you on what we find out from her dr. I doubt they have many answers for us Friday but if they could at least up her prednisone dose maybe they could give her some relief

• Posted

I know that statins can cause severe muscle cramps. Once you het off of them, the pain should go away. PMR tends to come on gradually. Achy feeling over entire body, Usually, if you have PMR, 10 mg of prednisone should make you feel better. The

Rheumatologist will be better equipped to help your mom. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.