Severe Nocturnal Back pain for almost a month with no prior issues or injuries

Posted , 4 users are following.

For almost a month now, I've been experiencing nocturnal unbearable back pain that begins as soon as I lay down, no matter what adjustments I make. It actually gets worse. It's essentially so painful I can barely breathe. It's definitely without a doubt NOT my lungs. I'm all too familiar with that pain, but this pain starts in the dead center of the middle of my back. It's become so intolerable that I almost called for an ambulance last night.......The pain doesn't even start until I lay down. About 2 hours after I wake in the morning, the pain will slowly subside & I go through the rest of the day virtually pain-free. Forget about that "morning bathroom visit" because I cannot move (turn) to wipe. It's become impossible to get a full night's sleep. I have tried the orthopedic and lumbar support pillows in the arch of my back and in between my knees to help level my spine with no relief whatsoever. I've also tried multiple beds of different kinds. I believe something is wrong and it's not just a minor injury that'll ease up and eventually go away. I am tall woman and grew too much too fast which I've been told can cause some back and/or knee pain. Unfortunately, I have dealt with both since I was a preteen. However, this is a whole different issue. A completely different type of pain like I've never experienced. All that I've researched point to degenerative discs for the most part, others worse. However, being only 27 years old with no children or injuries, I'm concerned this may be something worse. I'm not asking for a professional's diagnosis. I'm simply needing a personal opinion on if this might pass or, as my gut tells me, is something more serious that requires professional help.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi latxgoodone

I suggest you make an appointment with your GP and request an ESR test..Erythrocite Sedimentation Rate blood test....this tests for inflammation in the body. Inflammation is very painful..but it can be treated.....best wishes.....

• Posted

Hi, Lilian...I just have an inquiry....I visit this forum quite a bit and see folks suggesting the ESR test when people are complaining of unexplained pain...I am just wondering how this would explain ones pain even if the ESR came back elevated....yes...indeed it would prove there is bodily inflammation, but inflammation is a symptom not a diagnosis...meaning if someone had inflammation(elevated ESR) there would still be a reason this is happening. That unknown reason is the diagnosis and possibly the pain generator... I am just wondering if this test shows something I am not aware because so many people suggest this test as if you have this done and it comes back elevated, then that explains the persons problem....this test reveals a symptom and yes you can take meds and eat different, etc., to help inflammation but if you dont remove the cause you will continue to have inflammation. Is this test revealing something besides inflammation?
    • Posted

That's a good question. I had an elevated ESR for a year before

my pain started or the C Reactive protein level was elevated.

My Dr and I didn't understand why it was elevated but blamed

On my back pain.

• Posted

Hi crystal63405

Yes, if you a high sedimentation rate it can be diagnosed by a rheumatologist what is causing the inflammation..in my case my ESR was high and the rheumatologist diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica...which is an autoimmune disease whereby your immune system attacks your joints and muscles..I had dreadful pain in my neck shoulders tops of my arms back buttocks and thighs...thrre are other AIDiseases such as Lupus, Rhuemstoid Arthtitis, Addisons Disease and more.......hope this answers your query...best wishes....

• Posted

Did your rheumatologist do other testing before he concluded to your Diagnosis? Or did the rheumatologist come to that conclusion based off the ESR result and your reporting of Symptoms? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi crystal63405

My rheumatologist took into consideration before making a diagnosis..my ESR blood test which indicated borderline lupus, what symptoms I presented with and other tests he carried out by testing my joints and muscles....I presented with pain in my muscles rather than my joints....which pointed to PMR rather than LUPUS which presents with pain in joints.....

• Posted

I have to agree that going to your GP is a good idea. I also want to mention that

having back pain where you're talking about is the least common place to have

back pain. I'm not saying it can't be your back but it's less likely that its your

back because of where it is.

• Posted

amkoffee, I do agree. Especially at my age. It's rare. Honestly, most of the time it's so intolerable I can't even exactly pin point the origin of pain. I went by just what I have learned from my body. When I get bronchitis I feel the pain in my upper back. When my sciatica acts up I feel it in my lower back, shooting down my hip buttocks, then down my leg.

I found a spinal facility that

• Posted

I found a spinal facility that does free consultatios and a $20 exam. I suppose I'll start there.

• Posted

I wonder what their angle is. Just be wary. It sounds like they want to sell you something. But I'm naturally suspicious. Hopefully it's legit.

• Posted

Another way to confirm a PMR diagnoses is to take about a

weeks worth of prednisone. If the pain subsides then it is PMR

If not then you can move on to something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.