severe pain and moderate alcohol consuming

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, new here...

I have recently been diagnosed with Syringomyelia (A cyst in the spinal cord).

I get severe nerve pain in my hands and shoulders, let alone weakness in both hands, like when holding a cup of tea, my hands are shaking and the cup feels so heavy. I am on Tramadol at the moment to ease the pain alongside other nerve relaxants.

I have realised days that I have maybe, a unit or two, alcohol, I have less pain through the day (I have looked up Google and know why). Looking into it, although it's temporary, can I add a couple of units every now and then to ease the pain, considering finding ways not to interact with pills?

Thank you,

shiwen55

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shiwen55

You will have to discuss this with your doctor as it is not advisable to drink alcohol when taking tramadol even though you say you find ways for them to not interact, tramadol stays in your system......

• Posted

Hi, the muscle relaxants will make you drop things! I am guessing that is also why things feel heavy. Keep your head up and keep on fighting, my best wishes are with you. A hug is incoming!! 🌷🌹🥀🌻🌼🍀??🕊

• Posted

Mixing alcohol and tramadol it's very dangerous. I love a good margarita or beer now and then but I had to stop them 7 years ago at my doctor's request and I miss it even now. So anyway I would urge you to be very cautious. Your doctor probably would not allow you to drink and might even decide to take away your Tramadol if he or she knew. You might want to talk to your doctor about the fact that you're still having pain even on the Tramadol. A good method of treating chronic pain is to have one long-acting opiate and one short-acting opiate for the Breakthrough pain. Unfortunately doctors are getting away from that with this fear of opiate addiction. And if you live in the United States you should know that it is because of the CDC guidelines. But I know even in the UK, doctors are getting stricter and stricter about prescribing opiates.

• Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies. I'm sorry if I didn't reply earlier. I saw my GP yesterday evening and thought to ask him, and I'm going to update you here.

GP said no more than 1-2 units twice a week. Alcohol has a sedating effect that's why and there's a possibility of alcohol abuse or dependency as well, so better not to tell mind/body to take alcohol to calm things down.

I suppose this is it. Also, GP said Tramadol is short term, and he will find ways whether meds or therapy to tackle the pain.

Thanks, guys !!

• Posted

Since i have also been on Tramadol medication and also i have read several article and blog regarding consumption about Tramadol. One thing common in all was that you can take Tramadol if you take alcohol and am not sure whether your doctor have told you about this or not. It can dangerous and can give some side-effects if you continue doing same. Better consult your doctor and ask him whether it is appropriate to do so or not???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.