Sharp pain around belly button when pressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everybody

I've just noticed a sharp pain on the right side of my belly button that I can only feel when I press it gently or I move too abruptly. It's not a severe pain at all, but enough to make me cringe a bit when it happens. I have been diagnosed with IBS and I'm quite bloated at the moment so I presume this could be the cause, but I've not heard of IBS causing localised pain before. I don't have any other symptoms either.

I'd be very grateful to hear peoples thoughts and views on this pain.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Paul

I would imagine if you are bloated you may feel discomfort if  you press the belly button.

Several years ago I had micro surgery and one of the places they placed a probe was through the belly button. and two others in the side, I sometimes get discomfort even now. So if you have had your Gallbladder removed that is one point of entry.

If you have pain on the rhs.place your thumb next to the belly button and the rest of finger down towards the lisk/Groin and press. If there is a sharp pain go and see your GP and explain how you feel. However it may be wind. Are you constipated, sometimes that may cause discomfort

BOB

• Posted

Hi Bob

Many thanks for the reply.

The pain doesn't seem to be there today, I tried your suggestion of placing thumb next to belly button and fingers towards groin area and pressed and there is no discomfort at all, which I'm presuming is a good sign. I've got this feeling that it was probably wind, I'm always quite bloated.

As for constipation this is something I'm not sure of, I have one bowel movement every 3 days, which does sound an excessive amount of time to wait, however I am on a low residue diet and have been for quite some time due to it alleviating abdominal / bowel pains from IBS, so there is a lack of fibre in my diet. On top of that I'm currently taking Mebeverine which is an anti-spasmodic to slow my bowels down, which in turn eases some of the bowel pains, plus I drink a lot of water, more than the recommended amount for an adult. I don't know if its a combination of these things that slowing bowel movements down, I'm pretty sure it is. When I do pass stools they seem normal, maybe slightly on the loose side, but nothing horrendous, but again this could be due to lack of fibre and increased water intake.

Many thanks again for your comments Bob, I do appreciate them.

• Posted

What makes you drink so much water? Are you very thirsty and that's why you drink or do you drink it because you know you need that much water? Is it because your mouth is dry? And I will say that everything I have ever heard about that has indicated that

• Posted

Oops! I pushed the wrong button.

I have always heard that it was normal that you have a bowel movement from everyday to every 3 days. So you're on the upper part of the normal but that's still okay especially since your stools are normal looking.

• Posted

My first thought is that it is a hernia. So you'll need to see your doctor and see what he says about it.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Reassuring to know my bowel movement frequency is in the normal range, as for drinking water it is all I drink, and looking at my intake it probably isn't much over the recommended daily amount to be honest, probably more lately as the weather has been so hot.

I have wondered if a hernia might be the cause of my problems, although this is the first time I felt it and it only lasted about half a day, the next day it had totally gone and I haven't felt it since.

Do appreciate your reply though, many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.