Shoulder Neuropathy from Covid?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Like many others, I have had Covid three times now. The first time was in Jan 2021 and it lasted a month. I lost the sense of smell and taste for almost a month, couldn't breathe through my nose for over a week and stayed moderately congested for 2 additional weeks, had consistent fevers, chills, headaches and coughing for six days straight, couldn't eat for a week (my stomach hurt so badly, but I couldn't keep anything down and was too nauseous to try to eat), had a persistent sore throat for a week, and was dehydrated. However, the worst symptom was severe shoulder pain. I mean intense, felt like I was on fire, shoulder pain in both shoulders. My partner attempted to massage them for me once, but the slightest touch put me in tears. They burned so badly! The intensity lasted about 4 days, and slowly departed over the course of 2 weeks. I did go to the ER in the beginning (around day 2) because I couldnt breathe well and the shoulder pain was intense, but they said my O2 levels were good, my lungs were clear, and to go home and get rest. They prescribed Tessalon Pearls and Amoxicillin, and said to take OTC pain relievers for the shoulder pain.

Thereafter, I received 2 Moderna vaccinations, wore masks every day, used sanitizer and washed my hands regularly, and didn't go in public other than to pick up my grocery orders to avoid going in public places- it was work and home. Despite those efforts, in Dec 2021, I got Covid again. That time around it was more like the flu. I did experience body aches that time, but it was mild and not general to one location. I did not get the boosters because I developed myocarditis after the 2 Moderna vaccinations and it was recommended by my doctor to wait until more findings come out to avoid more stress on my heart in case I developed the condition again with the boosters. After a week of Covid #2, I was fine.

Despite the regulations lifting thereafter, I maintained wearing the masks daily, limited my outings to parks, trails, and remote locations with my kids despite my family and friends unwavering pleas to go out (they think Im paranoid), still picked up grocery orders, continued to wash my hands and use sanitizer regularly, etc., and as of this Friday, I have developed Covid again. I have a constant sore throat, persistent fevers/chills/headaches, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea (sorry), difficulty sleeping, severe fatigue (but cant sleep!!!), and body aches. The shoulder pain is back and I am on day 3 as I type this. It is not as intense as the first time, but it is moderate, and the doctor I saw couldnt explain it or diagnose the issue. They offered pain meds, but I wont take them. I want to treat the cause, not the symptom. I cant find much online about it and the closest thing I can find is related to shoulder neuropathy (Im not even sure if that is the correct terminology). I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, what are your doctors saying about the condition? My only medical condition prior to any of this is hypothyroidism which runs in my family, and yes, unfortunately, I am a smoker.

Does anyone have any information on this symptom? Is it common? Will it go away? Are there studies that it could be longer lasting or damaging in the long run? I can't find too much on it and I know studies are still ongoing as Covid is new for us all, but the shoulder pain at times is intense. It truly feels like they are on fire- a burning sensation from the inside out. Hot to the touch, can't touch the shoulders at times as the pain gets intense, and Aleve, Tylenol, and ice/hot packs are ineffective. Im just drained and afraid of what is to come as reports coming out are now stating increased risks to health each time we get the virus, and it seems no matter the precautions taken, reinfection is inevitable- at least for me. Any information anyone can share or provide would be greatly appreciated! The doctors here wont run tests on it, and while this bout is not as bad as the first time, the pain at times is unbearable. Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.