Side effects from going off omeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 14 days into going off omeprazole. it's been he'll, I'm on 20 mg of famotadine a day to help. taking digestive enzymes and drinking alkaline water. my question is how long does this last and did any of you have weird brain fog, loopy feelings? also any palpitations? hoping this ends soon, thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How long were you on Omeprazole? I was given Omeprazole for acid reflux and took the first round of it for 6 weeks in July-August 2022 with no noticeable side effects. During follow up with doctor in November 2022 and discussion of acid reflux returning, she decided to give me a 90-day supply. On day 2 of taking the second round of omeprazole I began having chest pains and day 4 I developed awful anxiety and panic attacks. I did not think it was the omeprazole because I did not have these effects the first time taking it. After about 4-5 weeks of continuing the drug and after many doctors visits and an ER trip for chest pain, I began having severe abdominal pain primarily on my right side. Went to the ER twice for this pain, had blood work, CT scan, and Ultrasound and doctors were not concerned. Eventually made the connection that this all started when I began taking omeprazole again. I immediately stopped taking it have been off of it for about 4 weeks. Still suffering from side effects like anxiety, panic attacks, dizziness, brain fog, loopy feeling, heart palpitations, chest pain, body twitching, and many others. Symptoms have seemed to improve a little bit, but I also think a lot has to do with the fact that I have learned to become familiar with these feelings and can deal with them as they come. I don't freak out as much, but they definitely are still affecting my life. Even as I type this I am very loopy/dizzy

• Posted

i have come off Esomeprozole 40mg about 4 weeks ago and i feel awful worse than i did before taking them and the constant stomach pain is terrible , how are you feeling now are your symptoms any better ,I wish i known about the rebound symptoms before starting these tablets because i wouldn't have taken them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.