So scared she might have it (first blood results showed high RBC etc.)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am very scared that my spouse (turning 35 this year) might have PV. However, there are some weird elements in the story and I would be extremely happy for any insight:

- she had a blood test done on Monday for something else and RBC was normal

- several days after that, she got another blood test for another thing and it came back like this: HCT 53%, RBC nearly 5,95 and Hemoglobin 179.

-she has no other signs (itching, pins n needles, dizziness)

So I am puzzled that several days before the test was fine and there are no other signs.

Could it be PV after all? Does it sound familiar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Petr14119,

It is very early days for you to consider any blood tests particularly and I would strongly recommend that you discuss things with your doctor and get the symptoms examined first.  You will at some stage require the services of a Haematologist if Polycythemia is suspected and extra tests will be needed.  At the moment I cannot see that your anxiety is needed.  To me, your details do not equate to PV and I would suggest there are a number of causes that could be the culprit.   PV is a serious and very rare disorder that requires expert appraisal.  Discuss your worries with the doctors you visit and if needed, they can  refer you to the Haematologist to clarify, and treat Polycythemia (PV) if this should be needed.   My own view is that I think you are unnecessarily concerned about PV, just don't jump ahead.

Peter.

• Posted

Hello petr,

Were the readings both done in the same hospital? I understand that different types of equipment give slightly different readings. Also, during your wife’s monthly cycle the amount of blood rises and falls so the haematocrit readings would change a bit then too.

I am pretty sure that you have been reading Dr. Google. Don’t. 

• Posted

Hi petr14119. I was diagnosed with PV nine yrs ago. The only sure thing about having PV is that the red blood count is too high and sometimes the white count is also too high. I also had an enlarged spleen. If I were her, I would ask to have a test to see if I had the jak2 gene mutation. If  she has the gene mutation, she definitely has primary PV. I have lived a normal life since being diagnosed. As long as we are treated, we can live a normal life span. Best wishes, harrishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.