Stabbing pain back of leg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Okay so i had an ankle operation about 3 years ago. Now for about the last year I've been getting stabbing pain to the back of my leg usually when im asleep. there are 2 different symptoms:

1) I get a stabbing pain feeling which get worse and worse for about 30 seconds then it get better and relief.

2) Sometimes ita a pulled muscle feeling and end up hurting for about the next day possibly im pulling a muscle in my sleep.

I think the part of where it hurts on my leg is called the gastrocnemius according to google.

The operation I had was an fibula open reduction fixation.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The pulled muscle pain is probably a Charlie horse. Its quite common to have them when you are asleep. Try to avoid pointing your toes when you stretch your leg. Instead lead with your heel, keeping your foot perpendicular to your leg. This can trigger a muscle spasm (aka Charlie horse). Also try taking some magnesium as this has been known to help most people who get them. You might also want to add calcium as well, for the same reason.

As for the sharp pain that you get, I really have no idea. But since it only lasts for a couple of minutes its probably not serious and the supplements that I suggested might help with this pain too. But I don't think either is directly related to your ankle surgery unless you are favoring that foot (limping), which can cause problems in other areas that have to compensate. 

Please note that I am just an experienced patient myself. I am not a medical professional so you should see a doctor before taking my advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.