Started getting acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 16 and started getting acid reflux with heart burn for three days straight, it may have started because I took a beta-blocker for my anxiety, but the reflux was off for about a week before it flared up again, I went to my GP and he prescribed Omeprazole 20mg which I haven't taken yet in fear of the side affects sad I also heard that these tablets do not help the root cause of acid reflux. What should I do? I have propped pillows to elevate my upper body when I sleep to prevent the heart burn getting worse, but I also get this lump in my throat feeling sometimes... I'm scared that this may never go away, or it might get worse... Should I take a tablet and see what happens? Or should I try and change my diet or something?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria,

From experience, I know that anxiety medication worsens heartburn. I also know that constant heartburn and it's resulting lack of sleep increases the anxiety so you're stuck in a cycle. I get more heartburn when I'm anxious.

I can't say whether you should take it or not. 20mg is a low dose and your GP obviously thinks it would be beneficial.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Tina, I agree with the cycle issue. I'll take one Omeprazole and see what happens, it's just that I always get worried thinking it'll do more harm than good sad

• Posted

The usual cause of acid reflux is a weakening of the valve at the bottom of the oesophagus (gullet). Working properly it lets food and drink down into the stomach where acid works to break it down. When the valve weakens (most usually with age) it doesn't close properly and acid refluxes back up into the oesophagus. The stomach had a lining of mucus which protects the underlying tissues from being burned by the acid but the oesophagus does not have this lining so the tissues become irritated and inflammed and we get what feels like heartburn. Omeprazole works by reducing the amount of acid that the stomach produces. The drug has its uses - particularly when someone has stomach ulcers. The less acid there is the better the chance of them healing. There are side effects but they are not serious. It came be a problem when you come off them and normal levels of acid production resume. The initial symptoms can simply return. I believe that a change in diet can help reduce and even prevent acid reflux. Worst offenders for triggering reflux can be fizzy drinks, tea, coffee, chocolate, fried and fatty foods and many oher things. Weight has an effect too. Carrying excess weight around the middle creates pressure on the stomach and pushes acid back up. Check out webpages for FODMAP for GERD or GORD gastro osesophagul reflux disease.

• Posted

Thank you, I'll reduce the fizzy drink intake, I might try a tablet, and I'll definitely check out those webpages smile

• Posted

Why beta blockers? Why not alprazolam or diazepam. I would go for alprazolam. If you have heartburn then take an H2 blocker for a week and see how this goes. Forget about PPIs for now. If the H2 does not work (ranitidine generic-zantac) then go on PPI ome prazole 10mg for the beginning. The anxiety meds do not worse heartburn it actually lowers the stomach acid as well (my gastro told be that). Anxiety may be the culprit but the main culprit is found after some time with the condition (this is when you can make conclusion what is really going on)
    • Posted

Idk why my GP prescribed beta-blockers for my anxiety, I'll try out a H2 blocker instead of jumping straight to the PPI. If anxiety isn't the cause then hopefully I'll find the real cause soon. Thanks esic smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.