Stopped taking Omeprazole after 2 days - now started with acid reflux-can I get rebound after 2days?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice. A brief backstory, I’m in the UK and I have suffered from gas pains on and off since I was about 12. They usually occurred when I used to eat fast but then went away in 2 days max. They always occurred around my sternum. This used to happen 2/3x a year.

However, since the end of last year, this has been happening more and more regularly. I’ve improved my eating habits, eating slower, smaller meals, I never smoke and only used to drink alcohol maybe twice a month. I follow an Asian diet since I’m Indian, but that’s only at dinner and 3/4x a week.

I’ve been relieving my gas pains every night by having ginger tea with honey which helps greatly but I was advised to get this issue checked out.

I went to a private doctor who suggested I have indigestion and gave me Omeprazole 20mg for 2 weeks (never had heartburn symptoms before). After doing some research I heard some horror stories and held off for about a week to take them but last week the gas pain got bad so I gave in, and took 2 (once on Sat and Sun). I noticed those days I was quite gassy, and felt this gas bubble in my stomach throughout the day and had severe sternum pain on Sunday so I decided to not take any more.

I haven’t taken the medication for the last 2 days, and during the day I was fine but last night (the first night I didn’t continue) I noticed slight silent reflux and irritation in my throat. I went to work today and had lunch, and I’m feeling a warm sensation now and bloated. I never had these issues with the throat/warm sensations prior to taking Omeprazole.

I’ve read that it could be rebound reflux as I took it and my stomach is now producing more, but is that really the case after me only taking it for 2 days?

Should I stay off the rest of the course or continue it for the next 12 days. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i Hope you were able to stop after 2 days. i feel like i got rebound reflux even though i only took it for 5 days, I stopped and i feel like reflux got so much worse since then and it’s been almost 2 weeks since i stopped. it has not been fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.