Stopping lansoprazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been gradually reducing my dosage by opening up the 15 mg capsule and splitting it between empty capsules (available to buy on eBay). I am down to a quarter dose a day )roughly 4mg) and although I am getting some reflux and a bit of bloating I am determined to persevere and come off the wretched things once and for all. Anyone go any advise or tips on this last part of my journey?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Firstly well done! Not easy hings to come off!

You could perhaps start taking your 4mg every other day and then 2 days off and 1 day on and so on... I am doing this with 15mg and don't suffer sudden reflux or bloating.

However I suppose it depends on the reason your on them, mine is because of GORD.

I hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

Hi amhy21728

thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to try every other day and see how I go. Have you taken gaviscon to help if you get reflux?

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

No I haven't however, I haven't felt I needed to - Maybe check with a pharmacist before doing so just to check okay to take with Lansporozol... although given your low dose I cannot see it being a problem!

Hope all goes well for you! smile

• Posted

Hi sue well done on reducing them I've been trying to reduce mind as we but the acid and heart burn come back almost strait away what meals are you eating when reducing if you don't mind me asking 

• Posted

hi Gillian1956

thanks for your reply. Have you tried opening the capsules and taking some of the little beads out in order to lower your rise. Also I stick to quite a bland diet of porridge for breakfast and soup and salads for my other meals. I think it's important to be aware of what aggravates the reflux

• Posted

Well done!  Thats exactly what I did and was relieved to get off  Lansoprasol completely after 2 years on 30mmg.  Although my symptoms are still there they are much better having really paid attention to my diet (very boring as I love food!) and particularly to the foods which trigger an attack.  I think its different for everyone but in my case anything fried is bad news plus tomatoes, dark chocolate and cakes etc.  I don't deny myself anything I really want but am very much aware that I may have to pay for the indulgence next day which tends to temper ones behaviour...especially when out.  I use Gavescon when things get bad.  I was also introduced to Silicolgel (no side affects known) and am just about to start a second month's course.  Its not a cure but it helps to "reset" your gut - it definitely helped mine.  I can tell this by the fact that I hardly ever use need Gavescon during the day  just take a swig last thing at night.  My next plan is to up the exercise so hopefully I may be more or less cured by Christmas.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any "quick fix" to this problem, I am just hoping by keeping off prescription drugs gradually my system will get back to normal as before being ill 4 years ago I had a cast iron digestion.

• Posted

Thanks that has been really helpful. I will look into silicogel
    • Posted

I was introduced to Silicolgel by someone from Germany (where it is manufactured) who was on holiday here and discovered in Holland & Barratt!  It is expensive - cheaper if you get on the internet or wait for H&B to have a 2 for 1 offer.  I think its important to remember that its not a cure but works on improving the make up of ones gut getting rid of toxins.  I took it 3 times a day before meals for a month and there was a definite improvement in acid reflux, etc.  They suggest having a week or so off after doing course for a month. I've been doing that and am now going to start another month.  Will let you all know how things are late November. 

I was also introduced to Gum from Cios, Greece (....used for many years as a cure all)...I think it helps, and is obviously better than normal chewing gum as its not sweet, but is definitely an acquired taste. I'm getting used to it.  In the middle east they use it in cooking and various medicinal uses - you may well have had it in ice-cream on holiday in Turkey where its considered a delicacy.

As you can see I am willing to try anything as long as its not got side affects or comes from Big Pharma but I do think one has to try things for a few weeks or more before passing judgement.

• Posted

I came off " cold turkey " and am now on my 11th day with out Omeprazole.

I am pleased I did it !

The side effects were worse then the withdrawel.

I take Vit.B 12

Blessed seed oil capsules.

Mag,Cal and zink.

And if I feel nauseous in the late morning Bicarbonate of Soda.

I am getting there !

There are too many unacceptable things in this medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.