Stopping lansoprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lansoprazole

In the last throes of giving up this evil medication but really struggling yesterday. Not taken my reduced dose of 4mg for 4 days and had heartburn most of the day. Taken a 4mg capsule this morning so maybe need to take it a couple of times a week for a few more week - any advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why are you doing this? What are you going to do to control the heartburn instead?

Long term uncontrolled reflux can lead to Barrett's Oesophagus and then Oesophageal Ca.

The reflux is likely caused by a Hiatus Hernia. If you are overweight - you may be able to cure this by losing weight.

You should make sure you drink a lot of water to neutralise stomach acid.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Firstly I am coming off this tablet because I do not want to be on long term medication. I did not have heartburn prior to taking lans I was put in it because I was taking diclofenac. My body obviously is reacting to the lower doses and I need to take it steadily.  Secondly i am not overweight so have no need to assume I have s hiatus hernia
    • Posted

Hi Sue

You are right in wanting to come of it, I was on it myself, only take it when the heartburn is unbearable, it seems the only way to avoid taking meds like this is to change the diet completely, easier said than done. The side effects are pretty bad indeed, it seems a mostly alkaline diet is needed. I went vegan for 2 weeks, didn’t need any pills and felt absolutely fantastic, my stomach was great, as I also have chronic Gastritis. My biggest problem is I seem to be devoid of will power, I know how to eat healthy, but I think habit has a role to play in this as well, as most of us are used to eating too much junk foods. I have pain in my upper right quadrant since I started those horrible pills, I have my suspicions it could be a fatty liver, which is one of the side effects. I know it’s not my gall bladder, as I’ve had a scan, had the all clear. 

• Posted

Thanks for that Gillian68. I am doing really well and agree it's definitely down to eating healthily. I have found that after losing 2 stone I can now be satisfied with salad meals and porridge for breakfast. It really is all about recognising which food and drink triggers heartburn as this is really the most unbearable thing to deal with. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.