Strange buzzing in head, electricity, migraine

Posted , 7 users are following.

My wife tested positive 10 days ago. I have been consistently negative. Both of us have the same vaccine (Johnson).

She experienced some rather common symptoms: Mild fever, cough and so on. But on day 5 she lost her sense of smell/taste and around that time she also got this strange sensation in the head.

She is having a hard time describing how it feels, but it is very unpleasant and persistent. It's not a headache as such. She describes it as the feeling of electricity going through her brain. She says she feels almost a bit drunk, and I guess it can be best described as a strange kind of migraine.

Painkillers and NSAIDs seem to make no difference. Caffeine/coffee makes no difference (maybe a bit for the worse). Warm baths make no difference. Walks and fresh air makes no difference (maybe momentarily for the worse). We have also tried e.g. ginger, zinc and Q10 but the symptoms remain the same (but maybe such supplements needs a longer period).

She sleeps well and is able to chat, laugh and perform daily tasks without showing any lack of coordination or competence. But she complains that the feeling in the head is constant, intensely uncomfortable and seemingly unchanging. She says that it's much worse than having a headache and she is willing to do anything to make it stop.

Have anyone experienced something similar? Any recommendations for remedies to try?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would tell you that if it doesn’t stop to let her doctor be aware of this. Just to be on the safe side. She might be perfectly fine but it’s best to get checked out if symptoms persist. That’s true about the vaccine or coronavirus or any other health issue.

when did she get the vaccine?

• Posted

I'm on day 4 and I'm getting a similar feeling, like I'm a bit drunk. it's strange like I can hear buzzing in my head. very strange, makes me feel dizzy

• Posted

Sorry to hear and i hope this has resolved. it could be heart related or a headache. It is early days but worth a making a phonecall to the doctor for advice.

• Edited

I got diagnosed with covid last monday. a few days ago, not entirely certain how many, maybe 3, i lost my sense of taste and smell, and afterwards i noticed when the room is quiet, i hear like a rushing in my ears, its very loud, and i would also describe is as a buzzing, though would not have used that word until i read your post. so this happened maybe Friday. today, the follow iing monday, i am still without smell or taste and the sound in my head is LOUD. i had the monoclonal antibodies because i was progressing towards severe disease, had just developed pneumonia on thursday and got the antibodies that day, and here we are monday and im soo soo much better symptom wise except i cant taste or smell anything and that rushing/buzzing in my ears is still LOUD. it hadn't occurred to me to ask a doctor, but I would if i still had the covid headache too, which I don't. im sure in general its a "normal" symptom of covid. hope she mends soon!

• Posted

hello

I have the same electric zapping feeling along with whoosh sounds in my ears when it happens. I describe it as feeling like ssri withdrawal for those who have been on antidepressants and forgot to take a few doses or tried to quit. the terms doctors call it are brain zaps, or brain shakes. you can google to learn more. I currently take paxil but haven't missed any doses. my doctor prescribed me dexamethasone which seems to have removed the weird feeling. it's interesting, I am suppose to take one a day and is getting close to my mext does of dexamethasone. the weird feelings have come back (not near as bad) as the medicine wore off. any others out there dealing with this?

• Posted

how you guys feeling now? 5 months and I feel exactly the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.