Strange Pantoprazole Side Effect

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I was recently prescribed 40mg of Pantoloc (AKA pantoprazole) to take once daily to treat a long-standing problem with gastroesophageal reflux.

The medication is working well, and I'm not experiencing any of the usual side-effects such as headache, nausea, stomach pain or diarrhea. If anything, the occasional mild nausea and stomach upset I was experiencing before taking the medication have more or less disappeared. I'm sleeping better, and my anxiety levels have diminished to pretty much nothing.

My GP knows I have acid reflux, but he thinks the mild nausea and stomach upset I've been having may be due to gastritis, although an endoscopy that was done in February 2020 failed to disclose any inflammation or structural problems with my stomach.

However, since starting the medication one week ago, my ability to feel emotions or pleasure has either disappeared or diminished. I'm feeling like I've turned into a robot!

I know that proton pump inhibitors like the one I'm taking can cause depression. I also know that my emotional issue is possibly a manifestation of anhedonia (the inability to feel pleasure or emotions). Anhedonia is frequently seen in depression. However, I wasn't experiencing any significant feelings of depression before I started the medication.

I took Dexilant for the same problem last winter, but stopped taking it because it did nothing for me. But I didn't experience the strange lack of emotion while taking it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this from taking a proton pump inhibitor? What should I do? Wait to see if the problem I describe disappears? Or do something else?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

ive taken pantoloc on and off for years and it was great for the reflux but recently i've switched to an H2 blocker which isnt as strong because of severe new stomach pain that has mostly gone since stopping it . That started after having been on it for many months. My doctor thought I should just keep taking the med or maybe even DOUBLE it so I did an experiment and stopped it. ah-ha severe pain gone but hello reflux lol. the H2 blocker is keeping it in check though. the pantoloc also kind of made me emotionless in a way, I know what you mean its a strange feeling if ambivalence. i feel more alive again since getting off it. it is like a weight is off my shoulders now. you could find an alternative medicine after using it for four weeks... dont let doctors push you into taking it long term!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.