Sudden Alcohol Intolerance after Covid-19 (I think?)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

For the past couple of years I've enjoyed a beer or two after work every couple of days.

I would drink like I normally do, with no side effects at all. I would always moderate myself and not drink more than 2 beers a day every 2-3 days.

Last month, I tested positive for Covid-19, lost my smell and taste and felt ill over a week but got back on my feet with a bit of fatigue here and there and I thought I got away scot - free.

That was until I drunk a beer a week after I got better and instantly started sneezing, coughing and suffered from a runny nose for two days. I didn't think much of it and continued to drink here and there with the exact same symptoms lingering on for 2 days.

I don't have any food allergies I know of. Ive always enjoyed food with nothing to worry about.

To this day, a month on I can't happily drink beer without a consistent cough, runny nose and sneezing.

I believe this might have to do with covid because the day before I tested positive and felt a bit off, I had a beer with no symptoms.

Does anyone know what might have caused this new allergy/intolerance or what it might be?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time read and respond

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I not a doctor but from a lot of research I have seen many things about new allergies and food intolerance,s post covid. its not just covid either. Apparently after any virus the body is very susceptible to intolerance post virus. I find it can't now have too much wine .. my body gets acidic very quickly now where before it could hack alot more. it could be one of the ingredients in the beer in particular .

• Posted

Respectfully, within the context a global pandemic and many sufferers and families being devastated by this illness, do you really think whether you can enjoy a beer as well as you used to - has any relevance medically or otherwise ?

I'm glad you have recovered (You already have gotten away "scot-free")

The beer will come. And you'll enjoy it again.

Don't you worry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.