Sudden sharp stabbing pain in front of left shin just below knee!

Posted , 39 users are following.

I've had this on and off maybe once every couple of weeks, but today its happened about 5 times!

If I kneel on my left leg to do something I suddenly get a very sharp stabbing pain in the front of my leg just below the knee slightly to the left! Its not a shin splint as its not right next to my shin bone its about an inch or two from my shin bone. Its been particularly painful today and has happened every time I've knelt down!

There is no swelling or bruising at all. Does anyone know what this is and what could be causing it?

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have terrible pain in my left leg - just below my knee I guess I would say on the upperright quadrant of my shin area. Sometimes during the day the pain is bad but at night when I lay down it becomes unbearable at times. It is really impacting the quality of my life right now. If I kneel, when I stand the pain see,s to radiate back toward that area.
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, I just came across your discussion now as I am researching the same problem due to a fall on my knee a couple of weeks ago. Did you ever get it resolved or figure out exactly what was going on? I have no pain in my knee now except when I touch it between the top of my shin bone and the bottom of my knee cap. When I touch it or try to kneel on it I would describe the pain as very sharp and shooting. It's pretty extreme. I'm a carpenter and spend a fair amount of time on my knees, so I would appreciate any advise you can offer. Thank you! 

• Posted

I also have the same problem, as Cheryl25598 and WilliamG. It's exactly the same. I am curious to know if anyone has figured out what it is and how to treat it. I'm simply not kneeling on that knee but that is difficult and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I'd like to know what to do to fix it.

I saw a physio and she suggested that it was a nerve that was getting pinched when I kneeled and would sort it itself out. She said my bone in that leg  moves quite a bit and that it will likely shift back on it's own. I don't know about that!

Any suggestions would be great.

I don't care to mask the pain, I just want to fix what's not right.

Thanks for any input!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I am experiencing your exact symptoms but on my right leg.

Thanks

• Posted

Did anyone find out what their issue is? I have the exact same symptoms including numbness in that area. It's not constant pain, but it has definitely worsened. My chiropractor thinks it might be IT band related

• Posted

You described the exact pain I have been experiencing I the same spot, the last 4 weeks.  Mostly when kneeling on the floor todo something or if I apply pressure to the point on my leg.  I went to see MD today.  He wants to wait for a month to see if it resolves, if not it's MRI time.  He's not sure what it is.  Did yours resolve?

• Posted

I have the same, exact pain you've described. It started suddenly: sharp, stabbing pain (that I thought was a bruise at first) just below the knee and a little to outside where the front, upper shin begins. I cannot kneel at all and this is essential for yoga. Since I do nothing else, I believe I injured this area by holding a lower-leg stretch/pose too long. It gives me the sensation of the top muscle ripping away. I'm massaging, user a roller to roll on top (very painful) and taking anti-inflamatories and rubbing Voltaren get on the pain area and icing. Very interested in what the others report as the diagnosis. It shocked me that I could not kneel in my last yoga class. The pain is sharp and unbearable. 

• Posted

Hi my GP didnt seem that concerned, he said it was just cartilage damage and that it would go in six to eight weeks, which it did go eventually. But now Im very careful when I go to kneel down as Im scared it will come back. I only had the sharp pain when I knelt down no other time. Hope you all get it sorted out 
  • Posted

Hi I was wondering if you ever found out what was happening with your leg? I have a very similar problem, I fell a week ago, there is no bruising and only slight, very minimal swelling. If I kneel on something it the sharpest most excruciating pain. I have an end table in living room I barely grazed it and excruciating pain even a week after the fall. When I walk minimal pain but it literally feels like I have something loose on the inside of my leg. Almost well actually like someone sliced off a part of my leg and it's just flapping away. I appreciate any info you can offer. I'll probably go to er later because pain has not even started to subside.

Thank You,

Melissa M

• Posted

Relieved to read that cheryl25598 reports the pain went away. Im still feeling the stabbing if I use a knee to get onto my bed for example. Just that position: kneeling or using the front part of my upper shin. A physical therapist and a few others used the term *shin splint* but those are usually lower. Still feeling this stinging, sharp pain adn will wait it out for now. Convinced its from over extension during the yoga classes I started a little over a month ago and put my legs into positions of extending and holding that I was not used to. Painful! - B
  • Posted

Thank goodness it's not just me. No pain at all until I put pressure on this exact spot on my right leg. It's been 4 weeks and no sign of it getting better. None of the knee injury descriptions fit as it's only painful when I kneel on it. The best way of describing it is like as invisible bruise.

• Posted

I see this thread has been going on awhile and I stumbled upon it with the same issue. I know I've been diagnosed with patella femoral syndrome and had surgeries on both knees for it, but they're still not 100%. They will still act up if I overuse them or do certain movements so I have to watch myself working out. I must've overused my right knee yesterday because I now have the throbbing in my right shin like everyone else has described. After feeling around, I can find the pressure point in my knee causing it, so perhaps some of may have misaligned your knee cap causing the inflammation and probably nerve pinching causing the radiation. I'm not a doctor, but just wanted to share my insight! smile

• Posted

Having the same problem. Sharp stabbing pain when I kneel.. same area. What is this?! Someone I know mentioned the tibial ligament might be out of place and to do Pilates. It's fine when I stand...

• Posted

Do you know how this patella femoral syndrome started / cause? 
    • Posted

Same as mine problem. Sharp nerve pain when my knees go to the floor but no pain at al (ever) unless the upper shin is touching something. Impossible to kneel with legs tucked under such as a yoga pose.
    • Posted

I believe it has something to do with the kneecap. The weeks before this, without injury, my kneecap was excruciatingly painful on that left side, left edge. Hard to move leg. That subsided and then this stabbing pain when kneeling took its place. Feels nerve like starting from upper most left of bone shin area running 2" further left. If I barely lightly stroke my fingers across the area of the bone there, I feel the nerve zinger as well. What IS this?! Yes... I have to check in with a doctor but, does anyone actually know? We all seem to be having the same symptoms.

• Posted

Yes! If I even stoke my fingers across the nerve location it stings. The act of trying to get on my knees is like having the upper connection of the muscle to just below my knee ripped off! 
    • Posted

I have similar symptoms -- for 3 weeks now.

Sharp pain below knee ONLY when I touch it, but it also triggers a nerve beside the painful area. Does not hurt when I'm sitting or walking.

It's very perplexing.

Anyone have an answer as to what is causing it or how to get rid of it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.