Sudden sharp stabbing pain in front of left shin just below knee!

Posted , 39 users are following.

I've had this on and off maybe once every couple of weeks, but today its happened about 5 times!

If I kneel on my left leg to do something I suddenly get a very sharp stabbing pain in the front of my leg just below the knee slightly to the left! Its not a shin splint as its not right next to my shin bone its about an inch or two from my shin bone. Its been particularly painful today and has happened every time I've knelt down!

There is no swelling or bruising at all. Does anyone know what this is and what could be causing it?

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think mine is due more to my connective tissue disorder (Ehlets-Danlos) but it can come from a number of things. It's more common in women because of our wider hips, but it can also stem from weak quads, over tight hamstrings, flat feet, etc. that cause the muscles around your knee to overcompensate by pulling too tight and pulling the caps out of alignment. Like I said, I had the surgery to loosen them back up but if I fall on my knee or hit it in the right spot, it gets inflammation and hurts for a few days.

• Posted

I am very thankful to you for starting this post Cheryl. I am a retired personal trainer (was full-time certified for 14 years) and in all that time, never experienced or dealt with this issue, but about a week or so ago, started having the exact issue you described. When I first experienced the pain, it was when I put pressure on my knee getting into bed. Just that small bit a pressure sent a stabbing, burning pain straight to the front, upper outside shin, just below the knee. It is also impossible to kneel without excruciating pain - but there is barely any pain otherwise. So strange...

I believe, for me, it is a combination of IT band issue, in that the IT band runs from the outer hip, down the leg, past the knee and then inserts into the exact spot when the pain hits. This would explain the "tearing" feeling as well, especially if there is inflammation at the site of the insertion (where the tendon attaches to the bone.)

I think it will just have to take it's course so, for now, I a icing the area (I use a one of those flat ice "blankets" and hold it around my knee with an ace bandage - 10 minutes on - 10 minutes off - then 10 minutes on.) Alternating the ice on and off that way over a 30 minute period is very effective and something I always suggested to my clients with any kind of injury or joint issue.

I am also doing a therapeutic does of Motrin in the evening, and have upped my consumption of dark berries, salmon, flaxseed oil and other anti-inflammatory foods . But, of course, the best cure for any injury is time.

I am not as athletic as I was during my training years but did a lot of damage to my knees in high school and college doing gymnastics, cheerleading and ballet. 

Ironically, I believe this the thing that sparked this injury was, of all things, a pedicure. The place I go to always performs a nice leg massage and part of the massage includes a some fist pounding on the sides of the legs and down the calves. They do it pretty hard and I just think something when out of whack.

Hope to see an update from you soon. I would like to know if your condition did finally resolve itself.

• Posted

Thank you to Dianne and Cheryl for your comments. My primary care physician thinks it is a bone spur but I’m not sure if I agree. It is such a small spot,I have to feel around for it.  When I kneel on that leg I curl my toes under so the shin is not straight out on the floor. I have not done any icing and will try that.
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl

I have experienced the same problem as many others a sharp stabbing pain below my knee joint but in the shin quadrant area. 

The pain becomes more prevalent when I’m about to kneel. There is no pain when I walk or jog. Iv tried accupressure massage, turmeric & milk, wet cupping but the sharp pain exists.

Iv not seen my GP as he would say it’s nothing serious. Iv lost confidence with my GP to be honest and many of the patients who expressed what their GP said would be echoed in a somewhat more lamely manner in fact a MRI SCAN would be out of the question.

I don’t take any other drugs. This has been going on I would say 4/6 weeks the next option would be swimming and sauna see if that helps failing that I would be resigned to see my GP reluctantly unless someone has found a cure which I feel is a nerve related issue unexplained. Keep us updated 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Cheryl , it’s a few years since you reported a severe stinging pain below the knees -I had the exact same thing 2 years ago and it’s turned into a more serious nerve condition  which I’m not sure if it’s connected or unconnected and I wondered if yours simply went away or if you have had any continuing symptoms or got it resolved or ever found out what it was 
  • Posted

I am having the same pain on my right shin just below the knee. Its a sharp stabbing pain, last a few seconds and comes and goes every few min. No injuries and Im not very active. I will be making an appt to see Dr. soon.

• Posted

I'm now convinced that acquiring this pain has something to do with my age. It is a NERVE pain that I never had before with various dance / exercise classes and was a sudden occurrence that coincided with starting yoga. I stopped the sitting position that was actually impossible for me to do once the stabbing nerve pain started and now 1 year later I can sit on my folded legs. I do have a new area of the same, exact type of stinging nerve pain just above my left knee. I'll report back as my new exercise regimen begins. I'm quite sure this wouldn't happen to a young person. I'm 60. 

• Posted

I had this same exact thing.  I went to the doctor and had an X-ray, then an MRI, then a full-body scan.  The pain was from a rare cancer called chondrosarcoma.  I had the tumor removed a month ago.
  • Posted

hi i am having that same pain for a few weeks now. WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT YOUR PAIN?

• Posted

Hi, im just wondering if anyone has figured out what this is? I developed this exact pain about 2 months ago...a very sudden sharp pain in my upper outer shin, just below and to the outer side of my left knee and ONLY when i knee. I have no pain or tenderness in the area and i dont feel anything other than when Im kneeling. the pain goes immediately when I stand up again. I was perplexed but not overly concerned as I thought it was something simple that woukd right itself in time...nerve damage, ligament/tendon. However, the last 2 days its started happening on the other side too which makes me think its more relating to a particular "condition" . Its highly unlikely that ive damaged/injured the same thing on both sides. I would really appreciate feedback...has anyone had a diagnosis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.