Taking Mefenamic acid tomorrow

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just prescribed by my GP -- I am always so apprehensive about taking new drugs because of side effects -- I am really sensitive... Can anyone give me reassurance please? Or maybe a kick up the bottom to get me moving in the right direction? I am such a big baby.

I know I have to take this because I can't cope with this heavy bleeding anymore. I hope it works and I dont get any nasty side effects.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i can honestly say, without this medicaction i would be in a nut house!! the pains i get send me crazy. its so bad i dont know what to do with myself. i have been taking mefenamic acid (also known as Ponstan) for a good few years now and they have worked a dream for me. i have never experiencd any side effects and i take TWO pills instead of the recommended one! i find one pill does not reach the root of the pain and two gets it within ten minutes. im not saying you should do this as i dont want to be responsible for any side effects you may have. i think you should try them... also, you should only take them when you have the pain or are experiencing a heavy flow. if you take without any of these symptoms then the pills are fighting nothing therefore could be the cause of side effects ??

i have moved to cyprus and thankfully found a chemist that wouls give them to be otherwise i dont know what i would do!!

i hope you have found this helpful. everyone is different. if they dont agree with you, stop taking them. its that simple.

keep me posted

mandy xx

• Posted

[quote:953ca0f479=\"mandymoo \"]i can honestly say, without this medicaction i would be in a nut house!! the pains i get send me crazy. its so bad i dont know what to do with myself. i have been taking mefenamic acid (also known as Ponstan) for a good few years now and they have worked a dream for me. i have never experiencd any side effects and i take TWO pills instead of the recommended one! i find one pill does not reach the root of the pain and two gets it within ten minutes. im not saying you should do this as i dont want to be responsible for any side effects you may have. i think you should try them... also, you should only take them when you have the pain or are experiencing a heavy flow. if you take without any of these symptoms then the pills are fighting nothing therefore could be the cause of side effects ??

i have moved to cyprus and thankfully found a chemist that wouls give them to be otherwise i dont know what i would do!!

i hope you have found this helpful. everyone is different. if they dont agree with you, stop taking them. its that simple.

keep me posted

mandy xx[/quote:953ca0f479]

Aww, thank you for taking the time to reply, Mandy! I'm so glad the MA is helping you! Lucky you living in Cyprus- I live in the UK -

I haven't taken the MA yet ..bleeding seems to be better but when it starts to speed up again - I will take it....

I will keep you posted.

Gezzy xxxxx

• Posted

Hi there, I've been taking this for a few months and it's made a huge difference for me. Nothing negative to say, it's been fantastic for me. I started off on two tablets per day which helped a lot with both the pain and bleeding. I now take three per day plus tranexamic acid and that seems the perfect combination for me. Hope these help if you need them.

Jo

• Posted

Hi..can I perhaps offer a bit of advice regarding these tablets and heavy/painful periods? I have had to endure the pain of extremely heavy periods for 20 years, sometimes so bad that I couldn't get out of bed and had to miss work. My doctor prescribed Mefenamic acid tablets which, although they worked, caused such bad stomach cramps that it was as bad, if not worse than the original period pain. I was then diagnosed as severley anemic and had to start taking iron supplements. The difference it made was unbelieveable. Now sometimes i double up my iron in the week leading up to my period and I manage to get through what used to be nothing short of torture with normal ibuprofen. I don't know if this will help anyone on here...but it's worth ago...my pain was so bad I considered a hysterectomy just to be rid of it, but now I no longer dread my period, and my PMT symptoms have lessened greatly too. :D It seems like such a simple solution but it really works (I recommend liquid iron such as spatone as that is absorbed more and does not cause constipation)
  • Posted

[quote:d355a3b79b=\"Gezzy\"]Just prescribed by my GP -- I am always so apprehensive about taking new drugs because of side effects -- I am really sensitive... Can anyone give me reassurance please? Or maybe a kick up the bottom to get me moving in the right direction? I am such a big baby.

I know I have to take this because I can't cope with this heavy bleeding anymore. I hope it works and I dont get any nasty side effects.[/quote:d355a3b79b]

Hi

I too have suffered nasty period pains and heavy periods for as long as I can remember. I'm 38, no kids, not on the pill. My doctor prescribed me Naprosyn (Naproxyn) and that worked out okay to begin with until for some reason it just stopped working. Last month I had to go home from work early because the pain was so bad, so i went back to my GP and he prescribed me with mefenamic acid tabs. Well, I got my period on Sunday morning and I was doubled up, so I took two pills as prescribed. Nothing happened after a half hour, so I took another two. Then it was like a miracle - no pain at all! However, I took 10 throughout Sunday (instead of the six that it recommended) but maybe I was just being a bit over anxious.... I took four yesterday and two this morning. The doctor never said to expect lighter periods so that's a pleasant surprise - but it IS only my first time, but so far I've been pretty amazed. One thing I will say, my stomach has been rumbling inappropriately loudly since Sunday - but other than that no complaints. It's now day three of my period, and there is no pain at all, which is fantastic. I'll give it a few more months before reporting any side effects, and perhaps I should just take the recommended dose next month... :D

• Posted

Hey im 16, I Take Mefenamic Acid Tablets 500mg 1Tablet 3 Times a Day, Ive Been On these 6months now, sometimes i only take 2 when the pain isnt really bad or take 2 the day before i come on and it helps to reduce the heaviness and pain, the tablets seem to really be working as the last period i had i wasnt in any pain at all and my period is no longer irregular and isnt heavy!! I wouldnt know what to do without these tablets to be honest!!
  • Posted

I am taking Tranexamic acid tablets,again,after waking up in a pool of blood :o with tampon intact! Had heavy bleeding and been on these tablets before but this bleeding was on a different scale.However ,reading discussions i note that some poor women have worse,with large clots sad What i learnt a couple of years ago,i would like to share.Tablets,such as Ibrubrofen(probably the aspirin ingredient)can cause heavy bleeding and i learnt many women have had hystorectomys instead of just stopping these pills.Last september,my sciatica came back with a vengance and hasnt responded to physio(had a MRI last fri)Drs tried me on many painkillers,morphine patches,temegesic DF118s,etc with horrible zombyfying side effects so i found Ibrubrofen to be the least intrusive,My Ibrurofen were doubled two weeks ago...another Dr sent me for an urgent blood test due to Ibrubrofen over dose :o came back satisfactory but hey Presto-2days later i woke up with a big bleed...No more Ibrubrofen or Aspirin EVER again for me
  • Posted

I have just been prescribed mefenamic acid for heavy bleeding caused by fibroids. My GP said to take 1 500 mg tablet 3 times a day then phone him in a month for a repeat prescription if no problems. Is anyone else taking this all month rather than just during their period. All of the guidance including the leaflet suggests this should only be taken when bleeding, I am so confused! Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to take it all month if I don't need to.

• Posted

It's great to hear that some people have been getting benefits from this drug. However it almost seems impossible to me that anything good can come out from taking them- after having taken ONE tablet the first day of quite severe period pains (pacing the floor like i was in labour!) 20 mins after i began to feel very nauseous and the pain in my back and stomach got worse. I suddenly felt the urge to use the bathroom and emptied most of last night's dinner (which was made up of my usual tea).. and felt very dizzy, and hot.. i stripped off my clothes and felt the need to be sick so i walked to the sink and my boyfriend held me up as i attempted to splash my face with water with the little to no energy i had left and suddenly felt very faint. my ears buzzed and my vision was blurry i couldn't respond to him but i managed to ask him to pull me up a chair and i collapsed back into it. My body started to sweat pefusly and felt very feverish. And (believe me i am sometimes a bit of a drama queen but even to my very unsympathetic bf it was quite clear i was in a lot of pain and to be very honest.. scared.) He carried me over to the sofa where i sipped some water with his aid and slowly calmed down. We then called 111 and asked for their advice and they said it was very likely to be the tablets and i should stop taking them immediately. Within 2/3 hrs of being on and off the toilet the symptoms eventually wore off but left me feeling very tired and fragile. I understand that there is probably a small chance of this 'reaction' happening to many other people.. but it highlights how powerful this drug is and that you never really know what your getting yourself into, even one 3 cm piece of moulded powder can have such a dangerous effect on one body. Take with caution i say and good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.