taking omeprazole for the last 15 yrs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I JUST CAN'T FIND A WAY TO STOP TAKING IT, I TRIED SEVERAL ANTIACID MEDS AND THEY DON'T DO THE JOB, I KNOW THAT OMEPRAZOLE CAN CAUSE LONG TERM DAMAGE TO MY HEALTH BUT THERE'S NO OTHER SOLUTIOS, I HAVE A 8 cm HIATAL HERNIA AND THE DOCS WONT OPERATE, SO MY ONLY OPTON IS OMEPRAZOLE AND IF I DIE OF A HEART ATTACK IT WILL BE FAST (I HOPE) IF I DON'T TAKE THE MED I'LL SUFFER FOR MONTHS AND END UP WITH ULCERS  IN THE ESOFAGUS AND THAT REALLY HURTS Y HAS IT FOR A WHILE LONG, LONG AGO

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,My Husband has been on this drug for many years.With all drugs,some suit & others don't. Are you in the UK? If so I would advise you to have a serious talk with your Gp.This way they should be able to put your mind at ease.regards Amanda h

• Posted

I'M IN USA, MY GP SAID THAT I HAD TO STOP TAKING IT, SO GAVE ME PEPCID BUT IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME, I'M THINKING OF TRYING TAKING ONE DAY OMEPRAZOLE AND THEN THE NEXT DAY PEPCID, SEE IF IT WORKS

• Posted

Are you taking them on a daily basis? What side effects have you experienced in those 15 years? Whats your age? Calm down, you won't die from these drugs... The media is exaggerating 

• Posted

I'M 74, THE SIDE EFFECTS I GET IS BLOATING AND IT MAKES ME DIZZY AND I HAVE TO TAKE SIMETHICONE CAPS THIS HELPS A LOT BUT THE PROBLEM PERSISTS JUST ABOUT EVERYDAY, ITRIED PEPCID BUT IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.