Taking Pantoprazol - have no idea what to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around 1,5 months ago I had an Endoscopy - got prescribed Pantoprozol. Since I took it for about a week, I started getting strong heartburn ( feel it in my throat). After 1,5 months of taking it, I still have the heartburn and an Endoscopy a few days ago pointed out I still have mild Gastritis in my stomache ( no ulcers, no polyps). What should I do? The medicine was supposed to cure my stomache inflammation, it didnt do so and now I have this terrible heartburn. Should I stop taking it? Fight the heartburn? How will my stomache get healed if I dont take it? Doctors seem to just not and have no idea what to do....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Back in December 2015, I had a gastroscopy as I had been having severe vomiting and nausea ‘episodes’. This test only showed up mild duodenitis and I was prescribed Lansoprasole. My doctor said I should take it as it was like putting ointment on a wound. It did not agree with me at all and I stopped taking it of my own accord. It wasn’t until November 2016 when I had suffered another seven ‘episodes’ that a different GP referred me for a CT scan which showed a huge tumour growing from the tail of my pancreas. This was biopsied and was indeed an adenocarcinoma of the pancreas (pancreatic cancer being the short version). Now I am not suggesting you have cancer or trying to scare you in any way but I do know from other PC survivors that they were prescribed PPIs as symptoms of PC are very similar to other conditions like irritable bowel syndrome etc. All I know is this - if you listen to your body and are very aware of changes relating to stomach and bowel issues, then you will know if the drug is helping you or not. If you do have acid reflux, PPIs are probably a godsend but if you know that isn’t your problem, then you need to really tune into your body and think carefully about your symptoms - bowel changes, frequency, colour etc exact location of any aches or pains etc. Luckily for me, chemo shrank my tumour and I had a distal pancreatectomy last June which also cost me my spleen and left kidney. I’m still here and still smiling although having listened to my body again, I had a scan six weeks ago and it has shown another mass albeit small in the head of my pancreas. I see my oncologist in two weeks to see what can be done. Enough about me though! If you’re not feeling any benefit then ask your GP about other drugs that are less harmful. They tried to prescribe them for me after my op but I refused. Having said that, millions of people take them including PC survivors but I think they are prescribed too readily like anti biotics and they are addictive. I wish you well and hope you find a satisfactory solution. 
    • Posted

Hi Chereene, thanks for the post. I do have abdominal pains as well. I had huge anxiety I might have PC earlier but I also had: MRI, CT ( both with contrast, CT focusing on Pancreas), MRCP and 2 x EUS. After all these tests and scans I am pretty sure if I would have a tumor it would be detected - especially after having an EUS twice, at two different hospitals. I hear EUS is the best test to observe any changes in the pancreas. My mild gastritis was discovered as a routine test because of my complaints of abdomen pain. I only got the acid reflux after taking Pantoprozole, and thus I might stop taking it. I admire your courage and I hope you manage to fight off any problems that might come your way!
    • Posted

Hi again! Well those scans certainly would show up any kind of mass so I am glad you have had them and they have eliminated any fears you might have had. Blocking the absorption of essential minerals and elements is also an issue as jhleerph pointed out so if you don’t stop taking them, you will need some supplements. Thank you for your kind comments and I shall  stay positive no matter what! Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi This happened to me. Pantoprazole is a PPI and they are only meant to be prescribed for a few weeks at a time due to their serious side effects. I  was on obne for years sadly. I am offit having developed a variety of conditions related to the ppi. I take Gaviscon occasionally and bicard of soda plus balnd diet, small meals, avoiud acidic foods and drinks. I am ok now. 

• Posted

marcus1992,

I am so sorry about what you are going thru.  The only piece of advice that I can give you is to ask your doctor about vitamin/mineral supplementation if you have to be on PPIs for an extended period of time (especially B12 and magnesium).  Too many doctors are unaware of how serious PPI long term effects can be.  There are too many people on this board that are suffering b/c of the lack of information that your trusted health care provider should be telling us about.   chereene 93989 gave a great piece of advice about listening to your body.  Best of luck in your recovery.  

• Posted

PPIs can also cause heart issues. These drugs are only meant to be taken for a few weeks at a time not years, they are money spinners for Big Pharma.also cause peripheral neuropathy, muscle wastage, anxiety, depression.Vitamin deficiencies, Anaemia, etc,e tc.

• Posted

replyn gone for moderation this website does not like anyone criticising drs or drugs wonder why?
    • Posted

For sure, muscle wastage from nutrient deficiencies b/c that is what I am recovering from.  Tight muscles which shows up as muscle weakness.  Have been recovering for the last 2 years.  Slow process but I am feeling better.  Manufacturers are now putting warning on the labels but the doctors really don't know how to interpret this.  At the heart of this is nutrient deficiency which leads to cascade of events that cause all of the issues that you have listed but it's not spelled out clearly.  That is why consumers are not getting this message.  The FDA has only stuck their neck out on published guidance on two specific issues based on observational studies.  Bone fractures and c. difficile associated diarrhea.  These studies are hard to extract conclusions from b/c there are a lot of variables and comorbidities but consumers are complaining about side effects after PPI exposure at an disturbing rate.  Good luck to all.  Research and keep asking questions of your HCP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.