Terrible back, shoulder and neck pain due to breast size. It's making me feel depressed and hopeless

Posted , 2 users are following.

My boobs are far too big, i wear a 38K but am popping out of it. They're heavy and cause pain if i am stood or walking for longer than a few minutes. My bra digs in and rubs so i find it unbearable but, a 40K is too big and rubs under my armpit. I had physio last year for back pain, he wrote a letter to my GP to say there was not much he could do as in his opinion it was caused by my heavy boobs. I went to see a GP about the possibility of a breast reduction but he basically laughed in my face until i started crying. He told me it would be unlikely to happen but that i could go through an "uncomfortable process" to try to get funding and even then i would be rejected. I was so upset that i didn't go back, I feel absolutely hopeless, i even asked him what would happen if i tried to hack them off myself and he said "they would probably stitch them back up". I just don't know what to do. I'm in no position to pay for the surgery myself but i can't cope with the pain anymore. Exercise is horrendously painful so the weight has crept on (i do go the gym but it's a struggle and i've only lost 2 stone in a year!). It's affecting my work because i can't walk far (i'm a support worker) and i'm at a desk for half the day. I don't sleep well either, my boobs can feel like they're suffocating me at times and if i lay on my side i wake up with pain and bruising.......i feel like i've gone on a bit! I'm really at the end of my tether. Any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi victoria 26089

You can try and lose a bit more weight by dieting and do a 'little' exercise. Join a slimming club..if you are showing the medical profession that you are doing your best to lose weight...and lose it......they may have a different attitude......by losing more weight your breasts will reduce and if you have excess skin then i am sure your doc would refer you for treatment for the excess skin...but you really do have to make an effort..not just by going to the gym but by dieting also.....if the pain is as unbearable as you say that will give you the incentive to start dieting......best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I eat healthily, i'm under the guidance of a personal trainer too so i'm not struggling in that department. I'm 6ft and a size 18 so whilst i am overweight i'm not morbidly obese. I have naturally large breasts i was a between a 32jj and 34j before my back pain started and was a size 12-14. Obviously the weight gain has increased my bust size. I am going to continue exercising too. Before I started getting this level of pain i used to walk a lot, around 5 miles per day but I struggle with walking very far now.

• Posted

Do you require a referral to go see a plastic surgeon? Because he/she will do the necessary paperwork with the insurance to get the insurance to pay for it. It is not the GP's job to do that. And while i'm on the subject, that GP of your should lose his license. I could hardly finish your post I am so mad. Honey you should never go back to that SOB again. Find another one. Anyone is better then him.

I had a breast reduction myself years ago. Unfortunatly I was not even insured at the time so it was not a concern but he told me before he knew that I was not insured that I qualified and that he would do the paperwork, etc. And BTW I was not nearly as big as you are. You do not need to explain yourself. It should be obvious from the sight of you.

And I also have to say that anyone who would suggest that you try to lose weight as an option to reduce your breast size does not understand big boobs.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you for your lovely message, i will definitely look into that and see what i can find out! I always assumed the GP would need to refer me for NHS treatment.

I'm hoping to drop 2 dress sizes so that i'm a healthier UK 14 but that's more for my health than my boobs. If it helps reduce the size that would be a bonus! I just think that if at 34 years of age, i struggle to carry them then it's going to get a lot harder as i age!

Thanks again for your advice :-)

• Posted

Hey I'm just happy to help out another big busted woman. I still buy my bras from a special bra fitter. Unfortunately because of a back injury I've put on a lot of weight since my surgery and of course a lot of it has gone to my breasts. I'm not near the size I was but I am bigger then I was right after the surgery. You will probably want a lift as well. I got one and it made me feel so good. But I suppose that will matter on how small you go. I'm so excited for you.

• Posted

Thank you :-) I hope you recover from your back injury soon, that must be extremely frustrating. Did you feel the benefits of your surgery straight away and was it a painful recovery?

I definitely need a lift! I think it's the sheer weight that pulls them down, i would say that they are just under a stone in weight, each. It's ridiculous!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.