Thumb Pain for the past 4 years, no clue what it is.

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I have been dealing with this pain for the better part of four years now, and it’s getting unbearable.

When I was younger, I have a vague memory of breaking my right thumbnail on something, the memory isn’t clear. All that I know is that since then, I have had thumb pain/throbbing/swelling/ a sort of itching sensation. Ever since that day where I hurt my thumbnail, I have always had this sort of sensation underneath my thumbnail, and down into the cuticle, to basically pick at it. A similar sensation to picking a scab, but ten times as worse. When I was younger, I would cut my nail down to the cuticle just to get at it, and I would use sewing needles and basically insert them far underneath the cuticle into my finger. Whenever I would do this, my fingernail would of course bleed, but the itching sensation would stop for a while. I went to the doctors, and told her what I’m telling you. She told me that it was probably a wart or something underneath my fingernail, and that if I grow my fingernail back that it would subside. So I pushed through, and let my nail heal. The only problem being is that the need to pick at it never went away. This led to me using my teeth to basically push down on my nail, which would relieve the itching for a couple of minutes. This has now become habit for me. For a couple of years I did this, but recently it has started getting really bad again. I’ve gone back to the needle method to relieve the sensation, but it doesn’t last forever and I really hate having to stick a needle into my nail to make it feel normal. It also has oozed whitish, greenish pus on two occasion, including today. I have a memory of it doing this a couple of years ago. I have attempted to research a reason on my own, and for a while I couldnt find anything. Recently, I was reading into Chronic Paronychia. It kind of fits, as the pus means an infection, and if its chronic it could have affected me for years. I just dont know how much it fits, and if it would keep bothering me without showing too many signs of infection for years at a time.

I feel like it could be psychological, but I don’t have anything which stresses me out too much. I really just want the feeling to go away

Thank you for listening to my weird, crazy story, and I hope you guys can help me out

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi, what a nightmare! so very sorry that you are having such a horrible experience. first of all if you feel it, it is! ! It sounds like your dr. is letting you down! I encourage you to seek help from a working/teaching hospital such as the mayo clinic. the mayo clinic web site has a symptom checker, you put in your symptoms and they give you possible conditions. this might not work for you as far as getting a diagnosis but the site can direct you to the right kind of dr. Keep on searching and fighting for your health. my best wishes are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.