Visual Aura

Posted , 9 users are following.

I experienced something today that was so frightening, I had for the first time ever a visual aura, it was awful like a half moon zig zag with a bright light around it, I had no headache but I was really scared, it effected both eyes, but my left eye mostly, it didn't go when I shut my eyes and it lasted only for about 20 mins that seemed for ever, I started feeling sick, then it slowly went away, I read up on it and I think I experienced a visual migraine. I know that some of you have experienced these, I think you gave Kieth, can anyone tell me if it is a symptom of polycythemia, or was it just one of those things, I know you can read into everything been poly, I really don't want to experience that again! Please any advice would be appreciated x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julia,

scary stuff when it come to your eye sight. I have experienced 2 painless migraine headaches. With mind I was seeing everything as if I was underwater mind lasted about an hour each very weird feeling. Not sure if caused by the PV or not. I have never had one since been about 7 years now. Pretty trippy 

• Posted

Hi, I have been diagnosed with PV back in 2010 when I was 24 yo. I have been on baby aspirin since. I believe there is a link between occular migraines and PV. I must have had them maybe 5-6 times in total but they are scary, usually followed by terrible headache that lingers on for 24hrs and nausea. I observed that sudden temperature changes in the head (such as washing my hair in the morning and going outside especially if breezy or cold air), or dehydration, or exposure to bright lights (especially in hot and sunny days) usually do trigger the migraines. sometimes they will raise my blood pressure so I drink a glass of lemon water and lie down for a bit. So I make sure that I drink lots of water on a daily basis and avoid washing my hair in the mornings:) It also helps to decrease the level of stress I'm exposed to, so regular meditation/quiet time and good sleep are a must. Hope this helps someone with their PV and migraines journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.