VP Shunt - Migrating Tube

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there.

I'm hoping to find some information about detaching and migrating tubes for the VP Shunt. I had my shunt put in, in January 2017, and since then my symptoms have been almost nil, apart from the occasional headache/visual aura, until recently.

For the last 8 weeks now, I have had very sharp pains in my side, lower abdomen, and the headaches have slowly got worse. A CT scan has showed the tube has detached from behind my ear (placement of the shunt) and migrated to the lower abdomen. I'm booked in for an op to get it replaced, on wednesday.

my confusion is that I've also had a sharp pain in my chest, down the centre, where the tube was. if I turn my head to the right, i can feel what i thought was the tube, pulling up my chest. i can also feel it pulling with my hand if i place my hand on my chest. the doctors say there is nothing there. I'm now assuming its a cavity scar from when the tube was originally put it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what was their solution?

any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.