Weaning of Omeprazole

Posted , 30 users are following.

Dear all, I need help in weaning of Omeprazole. I have been a 20Mg a day user since 2002 and the last 5 years have been hell. I am now at the point that I really need to get off this drug, whatever my GP is saying. Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on how they got off the pills. The daily symptoms I'm having is terrible. Hope to hear from you soon.

André

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Omeprazole for about 5 weeks and in that 5 weeks I have never felt so rotten, dizziness, blurred vision, headaches and just a general unwell feeling.

I am seeing my doctor next Tuesday and I am going to ask to come off them.

I am going on holiday August 6th and I don't want to be feeling like this while I'm away as it will ruin my holiday.

I take 20mg twice a day, one AM and one evening.

I've taken one today but I feel so rubbish that I'm not going to take my evening one and see how I feel in the morning. My GP did inform me of these side effects, it's ruining my life as I feel so weak and nauseous all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

Do you suffer with acid reflux when you're not taking PPIs?

The side effects could be from the omeprazole and your doctor could try you on a different one: eg lansoprazole or pantoprazole instead.

The NHS advice is to use the cheapest effective PPI. There are many different ones and all are as effectve as each other at controlling acid but some patients may experience side effects of the drugs themselves in some circumstances.

Alternatively, you could try an H2 blocker, eg ranitidine.

• Posted

Hi, André --

You may have managed to drop the omeprazole already, but I felt like you. After 12 years taking it I got arthritis, which no one in my family has as far back as we know (and my grandmother died at 101) and a slew of things that came from not absorbing minerals properly, including magnesium.

Omeprazole is now being linked to dementia in some studies.

I tried to stop three times and always went running back to the medication -- my stomach burnt so bad it felt like a real fire. I couldn't live, couldn't even drink water.

I ended up managing in the most absurdly simple way: with lemon.

I was told several times that lemon is actually very good for hyper acidity, but I never believed it. While on omeprazole I couldn't even drink a lemonade, it just made my stomach burn.

What I am doing now -- and am OFF the omeprazole -- is squeezing a lemon into hot water in the morning and drinking that (WITHOUT the medication, of course...)

I also make a drink with about a liter and a half of water and the juice of four lemons, plus 8 table spoons of maple syrup (needs to be pure! No sugar added -- not the maple syrup in the supermarket, the one from a health store). I drink that throughout the day as well. You might want just the water and lemon, and that's fine too -- but apparently the pure maple syrup also helps.

Finally, half an hour before lunch and dinner I take a tea spoon of sodium bicarbonate in half a glass of water. This can be tricky if you have high blood pressure or a problem with sodium, though.

You have to watch what you eat, especially at first. I know that flour is a trigger for me, as well of course as refined sugar, alcohol, spices, tomato-based sauces, chocolate, fried food, etc. I am eating healthily, mostly brown rice, vegetables, chicken, fish, fruit, etc. I have been free of omeprazole for a month, and eventually I will try eating some of the old stuff here and there -- but to be honest I feel so good I don't even feel like eating junk...

In any case, no more omeprazole. If I knew I could achieve this so easily I would be as happy as I am now, but a long time ago! And I would probably be in better health too! But I am confident that I will get healthier now. I plan to eat well and only "abuse" sometimes...

You probably can tell I'm not selling anything as...I'm not the owner of a lemon tree plantation. I came here to help others, as I really needed help and thought I'd never be free from that terrible pill!

Good luck, I hope you have either managed by this time, or not given up!

• Posted

Thank you for the advice regarding the hot water and lemon juice. I will start it tomorrow morning. I can't stop Prilosec because each time I have tried, the pain is so severe that I want to die! I've tried taking other things and weaning myself from Prilosec, but again the pain is unbearable. I hope the hot water and lemon juice helps me to wean from this horrible drug.  

• Posted

I told my GP that they just make me feel a lot worse, what did he do? Gave me a fresh prescprition for them. What symptoms/side effects do you get?
  • Posted

What are your symptoms?  I have been on Omeprazole 80mg daily for 2 years and am experiencing nausea, headaches and cramping.  
  • Posted

Hi Andre,  Did youmanage tio get off Omeprazole?  I've been on it now for many years and only recently found out the problems it causes in later life so i decided to try and come off it. The pain it gives you coming off it is unbearable as i'm sure you know. I have found a way that seems to be working. I'm vegan so this may or may not work for everyone. I've found almonds work. Sometimes i have to chew one and get it in me fast but other times I can just have one in my mouth doing nothing and the oil of what ever it is coming off it sooths the pain far better than any tablets. It's still early days for me (been a week) but before this would not have been possible at all. I'd like to know how you got on with coming off them if you don't mind. Thanks, regards,  Paul

• Posted

Hi Andre, I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but I would like to tell you. I was taking omeprazole for 6 years for acid reflux, and a couple months ago I went to get an endoscopy, and the doctors were alarmed that I had been taking it for so long. I would tell you how I got off of it, but everyone is different, so I would just like to let you know, you should go ask your doctor. Also if you gp told you to stay on it, you should, or at least go find something else that works better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.