Weaning off Omeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking omeprazole for over 8 weeks and now I am weanjng off. I was taking (40mg)20mg in the am & 20mg in the pm. One week ago started weaning by reducing to only my evening dose to 10mg making that 30mg a day. Now that a week has passed I am only taking 10mg in the morning. Hopefully this goes well and I can get off this for good. Last night I just wasn't feeling that good and thought of taking that pill made me sick so I skipped last nights dose and I really think it helped me sleep. I still woke up but when I did my body was stiff from deep sleep (it was a good feeling). I'm hoping tonight will be better.

I have a suspicion that the omeprazole is doing more harm than good. I have been having a difficult time sleeping through the night. I wake up wide awake Every night between 1am and 4am. I've never had problems sleeping and I haven't drank a cup of coffee or soda in 3 months since being diagnosed with Gastritis. Furthermore I was originally only prescribed omeprazole and after two weeks I didn't really see a difference so I quit. I saw another doctor a couple weeks later who prescribed omeprazole and sucralfate. Within 3 days I felt much better. So I attribute much of my progress to the sucralfate anyways. Bottom line I just don't like I how I've felt while taking omeprazole.

I would like to hear from anybody who has weaned themselves off of PPIs successfully. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm going to give this a go: 

Rakesh Sethi, BS, CAHP

Wellness Speaker/ Author/ 

8 Simple Steps to Natural Gastritis CurePosted on: May 16th, 2011 by Rakesh Sethi  Gastritis Heartburn, Gerd, Acid Reflux, or Gastritis are all signs of increase in “fire” energy in body.  This creates inflammation and irritation in the inner lining of the stomach. If left unattended, it can lead to ulcer and can contribute to other conditions. It is extremely important to have good digestive system for overall physical and mental health. This is the engine that pulls all the other body systems to health. Taking over the counter medications can help you suppress the symptoms but not eliminate the cause. Follow below the simple natural steps for gastritis cure.

First avoid the following causes before starting gastritis cure treatment outlined below:

Eating “poor” foods combination, uncooked foods, or overeating

Drinking excessive alcohol or caffeine drinks (completely remove these drinks till cured)

Eating excessive chili, pepper, and sour (acidic) sauces

Excessive worry, chronic anxiety, and continuous stress

Note cancer treatment chemotherapy can damage the stomach lining, wait after chemotherapy is over

Simple Steps for Gastritis cure, Acid Reflux, Heartburn, or Gerd:

Keep fast for 2 to 3 days using only liquid diet of milk, soy or almond milk, and buttermilk (Only if your medical condition and body strength allows) Note fasting gives time to inflammation in your stomach to subside and cleanses your system of toxins

Drink coconut water. It is an excellent natural food remedy for gastritis. It gives the stomach necessary rest and provides vitamins and minerals

After fasting or if you can not keep fast, take smaller meals and in between take milk or plain yogurt drinks (buttermilk)

Take 500mg of turmeric with each meal up to 4 times in one day

Take fresh fruits like apple, banana, all berries, and grapefruit separately (not with milk or meals)

Take only steamed and cooked vegetables with cilantro or mint and ginger

Drink 60/40 combination of carrot juice and spinach juice

Last meal should be taken at least 2 to 3 hours before bed time

Continue the above regimen till you see improvement in your gastritis cure. Gradually lower the turmeric to 1000mg per day and take 1000mg of Triphala after the last meal before bed time with warm milk.

Herbal Support: If you have occasional indigestion, use herbal formula Aci-Balance to promote balanced digestion.You might also like:

• Posted

This is quite a bit of info, thank you for taking the time to post this. Some of these things I have heard of before but some I have not. Thank you!
  • Posted

Just stpo taking them, you cannot have become addicted in eight weeks

If you have Gastritis take one alternative days ,That will give you the answer

about it "doing you good ""

• Posted

Thank you. I took a 10mg yesterday morning and today I forgot my medicine so there will be no omeprazole today.
  • Posted

Before choosing to come off omeprazole, patients must ask themselves why.

Coming off omeprazole must always be an individual choice made in discussion with your own doctor.

Many people are taking the drug who shouldn't be, are taking too much or using them inappropriately. For those with only occasional or mild acid hypersecretion, there are other remedies.

The first port of call must be to look at diet and lifestyle.

Then there are some "natural" products that can help: baking soda (if it can be called natural) and chalk (eg Tums) will neutralise excess acidity temporarily and are used on-demand. Alginates, derived from seaweed (eg Gaviscon) also help by lining th eoesophagus and sitting as a raft on top of stomach acid.

If reflux of acid is frequent (ie GORD), reducing the prodcution of acid may be necessary or even essential. Acid suppressants include H2 blockers (eg ranitidine/Zantac) and PPIs (eg omeprazole/Losec).

PPIs are powerful drugs that should always be taken correctly. Normal maintenance dose of omeprazole is 20mg a day. The bext time to take them is half an hour before breakfast. They are a pre-emptive rather than on-demand drug that should be taken at lowest effective dose for shirtest necessary time. Unfrotunately for some that means taking them for ever.

Refluxing acid can cause permanent damage to the oesophagus - ie Barrett's Oesophagus where the normal squamous cells are  replaced with columnar ones which can mutate to cancer. There is evidence to show PPIs have a chemo-protective effect and may prevent Barrett's becoming adenocarcinoma.

The "side effects" of omeparzole have been exagerated by snake-oil charlatans cashing in on using the labels "natural", "healthy lifestyle" etc. Some vene have dubious "qualifications" (that aren't internationally recognised).

I don't count Rakesh Sethi in this class by the way who does make the point (underlined in red on his website): "You must consult with your medical doctor before discontinuing any prescription drugs!"

If you need to take acid suppressants continuously, you must do it under supervision of a doctor. If taken inappropriately at too high a dose, they may induce hypochlorhydria which is what leads to the reported undesirable "side effects". But most people would rather have anaemia than cancer.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I feel like after taking omeprazole for 8 weeks that I should be symptom free, but I'm not. I don't think I have been properly diagnosed yet. I have had CT scan, xray, blood, urine, stool and ultrasound, but all come back normal. I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next week so maybe I'll get some answers then. In the meantime I just can't sleep at night and I believe this is due to the omeprazole. I have good days and bad days but overall I don't believe this medicine is helping. My Doctor told me in my last visit he suspects it may be the medicine but wanted to wait a bit before coming off. I'm taking a chance but so far I don't seem to be any worst.
    • Posted

Hi how did your endoscopy go? Did you find out what the problem was? And have you been able to come off the omeprazole? I'm about to start and frankly don't really want to take them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.